PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas...

Bart Sharp
04-14-2005, 9:32 AM
This may belong in the design forum, but I'm going to try it here. My uncle has a birthday coming up, and I would like to carve a plaque for his garage. The problem is, I'm having trouble deciding what it should say! Since the Creek has people from so many backgrounds, I thought you might have some ideas. Let me tell you a little about him, see if anything comes to mind.

He's been a car builder all of his life. His most recent project is a Model A pickup with a flathead, but historically he's been more of a Chevy guy. I've thought about "Hot Rods by Bill" with some pinstripe-esque flairs as one possibility. I know there are some car guys here, any other suggestions?

He also used to build racebikes for me and a couple of other guys (way back when). It was flattrack racing, so something along the lines of "Tuned by Bill, Go Fast, Turn Left" came to mind. I'm leaning away from that one, since it's been so long. He's also wrenched on sprint cars and drag cars along the way.

He is also a Mason and a Shriner, but I would be hesitant to do anything related to that since I'm not familiar with the etiquette involved.

Okay, I want to tap into the collective wisdom here, what do you have? Any phrases, favorite quotes, etc. a car guy would appreciate having hanging on the wall?

Thanks!
Bart

Bill Lewis
04-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Bart, I'm sure he'll greatly appreciate Anything you end up making for him.

Maybe somthing simple like "Bill's Garage" surrounded by emblems of note (Old ford V8 logo) and vehicle marques like the chevy bowtie, ford oval, mopar star. Whatever he has been in to.

Bart Sharp
04-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Bart, I'm sure he'll greatly appreciate Anything you end up making for him.

Maybe somthing simple like "Bill's Garage" surrounded by emblems of note (Old ford V8 logo) and vehicle marques like the chevy bowtie, ford oval, mopar star. Whatever he has been in to.

Bill,

I like the idea of the logos, I'll see if I can find some online. He already has a sign that says "Bill's Garage", so that's making things a little harder.

I'll see if I can get some clip art and maybe post some potential pictures.

Bart

Bart Sharp
04-14-2005, 2:15 PM
What do you think of something like this? How is the font, spacing, scrollwork, etc.? Suggestions for improvement?

Ted Shrader
04-14-2005, 2:28 PM
Bart -

The "Hot Rods" looks good (and I think the concept is great) but from the proportionality standpoint, would make "Bill" a little smaller. I know you are making it to honor him, but it looks a little big. Also like the idea of a couple of old logos thrown in. Not trying to start a Ford, Chevy, Mopar war. :)

Ted

Bart Sharp
04-14-2005, 3:12 PM
Bart -

The "Hot Rods" looks good (and I think the concept is great) but from the proportionality standpoint, would make "Bill" a little smaller. I know you are making it to honor him, but it looks a little big. Also like the idea of a couple of old logos thrown in. Not trying to start a Ford, Chevy, Mopar war. :)

Ted

Okay, I shrunk (shrank? shrinked?) Bill, and changed the scrollwork. Call this one #2. I think I like it better, anyone else?

Steve Stube
04-14-2005, 8:31 PM
If he didn't spend a lot of time with drag cars perhaps you could try carving a mobius strip fashioned race track with the caption,

"I'm Bill, and mostly
http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/Images/ae401a.jpg
I just go in Circles".

And credit for the image goes to,
http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae401.cfm
and the math behind it,
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MoebiusStrip.html

Dale Thompson
04-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Bart,
With all of his experience with various varieties of cars and speed, I would suggest that Uncle Bill doesn't dance to the same tune as many folks. He is one of those unique individuals whom all of us envy. :cool:

A dumb thought but that's the only kind that I have. Why not hang a sign on the outside of the garage, centered over the doors that reads, "Outlaw Bill's Boulevard" or "Outlaw Bill's Blvd.". At the very least, that would give his driveway a special name. :)

Sorry, Bart, just a thought. :o

Dale T.

Steve Stube
04-15-2005, 4:13 AM
Well if it is true, that there is honor among ___________ (fill in the blank), then maybe Dale's idea offers some added security for Bill's garage also.

Makes me wonder what thoughts go thru the mind of a would-be intruder as he comes upon a plaque/sign outside a garage door engraved "To Jim, knife wielding - gun totting - demolitions expert and full time bounty hunter". I mean, assuming he/she has reading skills. If this would deter then statements/wording like; easy going - always at the track - wouldn't hurt a fly - gives and gives - etc., etc. ought be avoided or at least locked up inside the garage less they be taken as encouragement to plunder. 4:00 AM, no wonder I've run off course.

I agree with Bill Lewis, the fact that you made it for him will likely speak louder than content or execution.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-15-2005, 7:42 AM
Let me give this one some thought today and see what I can come up with.

Bart Sharp
04-15-2005, 3:13 PM
Let me give this one some thought today and see what I can come up with.

Good ideas everyone, thanks. Kelly, I'm looking forward to your ideas.

Steve, given my skill level I am always counting on people to focus on the thought rather than the execution. :)

Kelly C. Hanna
04-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Sorry it can't be a short one...you could take the Flathead part out if ya had to, but I like it. I can't draw this out since I have no talent with freehand flames, but it would be neat with some inlaid flames on both sides of the Custom Rods line. Dark wood with light & colorful inlays....man would that be sharp!

Flathead Bill's
Custom Rods