PDA

View Full Version : 18" Bandsaw Help

Dick Crosby
04-14-2005, 7:27 AM
I am in need of a bandsaw that has an 18" throat supporting the use of a 1/4" blade to cut 1/2" Molding Grade MDF. This is all that the bandsaw will be used for. Additionally, I would like to restrict the cost to $1500.00.

Having read many, if not all, of the posts on this board and others as well as having read the recommendations in FWW and AW I have narrowed it down to Jet, Rikon and Grizzly. I have also spoken to representatives at two of these companies to get their input...sales/technical types.

I have touched the Rikon, can't find a Jet JWBS-18X in Florida to see and have not seen Grizzly.

Might someone have some thoughts on the best or better? 18" is a given...cannot go lower.

Thanks, Dick

Jeff Sudmeier
04-14-2005, 8:55 AM
Dick,

I can't help you with the band saw.

However, I CAN welcome you to the CREEK! Thank you very much for joining and posting!! We truely hope that you will continue to post after you receive the info you need. Be sure to keep us up to date on your projects and post pics of your bandsaw when you get it.

Once again Welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Dave Tinley
04-14-2005, 9:05 AM
I am in the same boat, I am upgrading from my Jet 14" model. My budget is a little under yours and I settled on the Rikon. Mainly because of the two year warranty and the cast iron wheels.
I did contact Minmax and they made me a deal on a S-16 model for 1395.00 and threw in 3 blades.
But for $999 I will settle on the Rikon. Then start saving for a woodmaster planer- :D

Dave

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2005, 9:14 AM
Dick...1st......Welcome to the Creek!

2nd Shortly I hope to have my new shop finished and then a new b/s will be the first purchase I make. I have touched and drooled over the 18" Jet but would like to touch and drool over the same one's you have listed. I'm sure some of our SMC members will have recommendations!

Good luck with your decision and purchase!

Bob Aquino
04-14-2005, 9:52 AM
I have the 18" Delta. I have looked at the Rikon and the Jet (older model). Given your parameters, I would probably lean toward the new version of the Jet if you want to get it local. Without trying to upset all the Rikon owners out there, I was not too impressed with what I saw in terms of construction and engineering of that saw. I know there are folks out there that have the Rikon saw and are happy with it, but I think it is a "You get what you pay for" machine. I have read of some problems that I would believe are mostly design related and I also am not too warm and fuzzy over a company that nobody heard of a couple of years ago. I would recommend the Delta without a second thought if it was not for the design of the blade guides which I consider poor and the upheavels that company is going through with the B&D buyout. I upgraded the guides to carters and am happy with my saw now, but would not recommend it as it comes from the factory.

From what I have seen and heard via the internet, I would also consider one of the large Griz. saws or one from Wilke or Woodworkers supply. 1500 will buy a good product so you really just need to narrow down the field to the one that does the job for you. As always, these are my opinions and if you have a Rikon and think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, more power to ya....

RichMagnone
04-14-2005, 9:27 PM
I am one of those Rikon owners and I'm pleased as punch with mine. Compared it side by side with the Jet and thought the Jet was a bit more "flimsy". Notwithstanding the "issue" with the blade tensioner, the fence is nice, the table is wide (although it could be better sanded... something you can do yourself), it is easy to track and the trunions, while not heavy duty are adequate.

Further, the Rikon servicepeople return calls promptly and there are plenty of manufacturers who come to market without much fanfare and then garner an audience: festool?

Robert Alexander
04-14-2005, 11:52 PM
I bought a 18" Grizzley bandsaw about 18 months ago. It was a closeout on a last year's model. At the time I got it for around $800.00 I have had it cutting 10" thick material, which it cut just fine and the blade tracking has been great. the only grip I can make about the machine is not the machine, but the owners manual. Other than that it's been a good bandsaw.
Hope this helps

Ray Thompson
04-15-2005, 12:00 AM
I don't own a saw that big but a friend of mine got the Rikon and I helped set it up and make some test cuts with different brands of blades. For your application two things stand out in my mind. First the Rikon fence is not worth a hoot at resawing without some rework, but you probably don't care if you are sawing 1/2" material. Second the dust collection was outstanding, which you will care about when cutting MDF. I found the saw to be quite adequite for the home/small commercial shop application.

Ray