PDA

View Full Version : Laser marking compounds for aluminium.

Alan Buchanan
09-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been attempting to mark up some aluminium mountain bike components using a (Chinese) 100W CO2 laser system. I've had no issue with burning off the anodizing to reveal white or bare metal finish, which is fine where darkly coloured anodising has been utilised but not much use on lightly or un-coloured anodising.

After researching the forums here and elsewhere I have found a number of laser marking compounds that should do the trick.

The obvious choice would be Cermark, although it is in excess of £100/can here which is way out of my budget (only trying a few bits and pieces).

I firstly tried a zinc anti corrosion spray similar to cold galvanising spray, this burned straight off leaving no mark behind.

I then purchased a can of Dry Moly Lubricant. My first go achieved iffy results at ~20% power below ~15% that nothing stuck and above ~25% the coat burned off leaving bare metal behind. once cleaned up most of the mark rubbed off and with a little paint thinner disappeared completely

The laser is not owned by myself and I have limited access to it, so I don't have much time left to experiment.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on where to proceed next, or know of any other alternative marking compounds easy available in UK.

Thanks.