PDA

View Full Version : Kitanemuk(Calif) bottleneck basket

Jim Adkins
09-12-2012, 8:49 AM
This little Kitanemuk piece I recently finished is turned from Sycamore, 7" x 7", 1/8" beads, usual dyes and four-step finish.
The inside is painted with acrylic "tera cotta" colored paint. It is too small to bead/dye the interior as I usually do.
C. & C. always welcome. Thanks241033

Michelle Rich
09-12-2012, 9:25 AM
i saw this on WOw and commented, but this is worth 2 comments. This is superior work.

Bernie Weishapl
09-12-2012, 9:45 AM
Beautiful piece Jim.

Tim Leiter
09-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Jim, that is beautiful. I wouldn't even try to guess how something like that is done. Just awe inspiring.
Tim.

Steve Schlumpf
09-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Absolutely stunning work Jim - as usual! Thanks for sharing!

Ken Glass
09-12-2012, 1:29 PM
Jim,
Your work is amazing. This piece really captured me when I saw it. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Harry Robinette
09-12-2012, 5:40 PM
Beautiful work as always Jim. Always love to see your work.

Jim Burr
09-12-2012, 7:26 PM
Looks like you've cleaned out your stock and will need to start a bunch more! Never get tired of seeing these...big pat on the back Other Jim!

Jim Adkins
09-12-2012, 7:43 PM
Thanks to all who have commented, always enjoy what others have to say. Other Jim, am still waiting for you to post one of your
basket pieces. Yeah, they're good enough, ya just need to post one and let us decide!! Thanks all, very much appreciated.

Jeremy Leasure
09-12-2012, 8:57 PM
It may be hubris and surely flattery, but I would love to try one of these sometime. Fantastic work.

Baxter Smith
09-12-2012, 9:34 PM
New background and camera Jim?;):) Looks great regardless! Awesome basket too!

Kathy Marshall
09-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Beautiful piece Jim, as all your pieces are!

Jim Adkins
09-13-2012, 8:35 AM
Jeremy, Baxter & Kathy.....thanks for the compliments, always appreciate them. Baxter, I do have a new background, grey gradient. Picture
was taken outside, early morning light with my Cannon point-&-shoot. Unfortunately I didn't re-set the white balance hence the "blue", I did brighten
it some in iPhoto but I think it's too "blue" Next time!!

Richard Madden
09-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Another beautiful piece, Jim. How's about telling us how in the world you managed to bead the inside of the bottle neck?? I'm guessing you have a secret weapon...a bent beading tool maybe??? Then, there's the burning of those beads??? Inquiring minds are wondering...

Jim Adkins
09-17-2012, 2:20 PM
richard.....I cut-off a piece of dull planer blade steel, drilled a hole in it for attaching to my hook tool. Using a very small chain-saw file I filed a 1/8 Diameter groove into the piece. I then took it to my grinder
eased-off the metal on either side of the main groove for clearance. This attaches to my hook turning tool to do the beading inside the bottleneck portion. I made a special burning point from Nicrome
wire shaped to fit inside the neck. This is fastened to a Razortip hand piece with screw terminals. So easy even a caveman could do it.

Richard Madden
09-17-2012, 3:19 PM
Thank you for the information Jim. I knew there had to be some "tricks" up your sleeve, so I had to ask. And here you go again...so willing to share. I really appreciate that. Some, as we all know, would prefer to keep such things secret and show a picture of just part of the tool...for whatever reason...and keep us all guessing. You, on the other hand are furthering the craft for others by your willingness to share, and for that, I thank you. Now...just because a caveman could do it, I'm going to have to see if I can...we'll see.

John M. Smith
09-22-2012, 7:59 AM
Missed this thread earlier. Jim, this is one fantastic piece. Shape is spot on, sand the beading work is awesome. How long does it take you to burn in all those lines so precisely?

John

Jim Adkins
09-22-2012, 7:35 PM
John, it takes a loooooong time, never keep track of my time for fear of total disconnect!! Thanks to all again for the interest.

Ronald Campbell
09-24-2012, 9:14 AM
Jim the piece is stunning. Love the Native American look. Keep posting these.