PDA

View Full Version : You know you've been turning a bunch when...PIC

Dennis Peacock
04-14-2005, 1:08 AM
Well, a local buddy of mine was interested in learning how to turn on the lathe and make round stuff. So I thought it was time to post of pic of the lathe curlies pile that we have created. :eek: ;) :D

One the "business side of the lathe" we stood on top of at least 4" of shavings. Nice and cushy compared to a concrete floor. :rolleyes:

Carole Valentine
04-14-2005, 1:24 AM
LOL I hope with all those shavings, he learned something!

Gary Max
04-14-2005, 3:58 AM
Time to get the big shovel out. Dennis is that a big Powermatic---if so how do you like it?? Maybe the 4224 with the 3 hp motor.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-14-2005, 8:57 AM
Now that is a LOT of shavings! Hope you got some good work to show for it :)

Jim Becker
That reminds me of when I took David Ellsworth's three-day course at his studio...after three days, it was, um...a shavin' parlor!

Dennis Peacock
LOL I hope with all those shavings, he learned something!

LOL!!!! Carol....remember the post you made about mounting a 10" bowl blank and only ending up with a 5" bowl???!!!! :rolleyes: :p :rolleyes: Well, there were a couple of those....but the rest are some several small bowls and a few large bowl....15" and 16" diameter persimmon bowls (now drying of course).

Mark Singer
04-14-2005, 8:58 AM
Any pizza ubder there?:confused:

Dennis Peacock
04-14-2005, 9:01 AM
Time to get the big shovel out. Dennis is that a big Powermatic---if so how do you like it?? Maybe the 4224 with the 3 hp motor.

Gary....it is a PM lathe.....3520A to be exact. I have read several things that the 4224 isn't up to normal expectations and the 3520 has gottne nothing but rave reviews.....and I know why!!!!! It's a WONDERFUL lathe. Maybe not a cool or great as Jim Beckers lathe...(I believe he sold the Oneway and now has a Stubby? Right Jim?).....but it's still a wonderful, smooth, HEAVY lathe. Me and a buddy of mine wrestled it off my trailer by hand....750 pounds in the crate. Once you uncrate the lathe...it doesn't like to move!!! :rolleyes: :D

Dennis Peacock
04-14-2005, 9:04 AM
Any pizza ubder there?:confused:

Good Morning Mark..!!!

No...no pizza under there...but we did find a complete set of turning tools!! :eek: :p :rolleyes:

BTW, we hauled out over 300 gallons worth of shavings and still didn't clear the total area around the lathe!!!! ;) Oh well....maybe I need to turn more and see if a large pizza with everything shows up under the pile!! :D

Mark Singer
04-14-2005, 9:27 AM
Dennis are you making anything besides shavings? No I didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed!:(

Gary Max
04-14-2005, 2:48 PM
Dennis I had to find out some more info about these PM lathes so I found out who to talk to. I called Oslonik Machinery up and talked to them. I think they are the largest seller of these lathes.They did tell me that they sell more of the 3520A's than the 4224's. I asked them about problems performance and breakdowns---they said the biggest problem they had was the remote switch---with both machines.
He asked me what I wanted the lathe to do so I told him the story about the 10x10x three foot long that I turned on my Delta. He said that I would be better off with the 4224.
The good part is he is close enough to me that I can drive over to thier store--about 100 miles away.

Dennis Peacock
04-14-2005, 4:39 PM
Mark S.,

Why yes I am.... ;)

Here is proof! All these bowls are drying via the Alcohol Method and the most successful and fast drying method I have ever tried. BOTH sides of the casework are FULL of bowls drying in the rough and now some are even double-stacked!!!! :eek: :D

Steve Stube
04-14-2005, 5:59 PM
Dennis, for as little time as I've had on my lathe since replacing the bearings I think I had better buy some of that fluff from you to spread around it for photos.

I sure need a lesson or two on drying wood also. I put a chunk of maple from the 20 year old firewood pile in the lathe a week ago and roughed it out at about 3" OD. Two days later it looked like somebody quarter split it for me, unbelievable. I'm not sure I have another 20 years so I better investigate the "Alcohol Method".

That's a lot of dog bedding but I'm guessing it's not cedar shavings.

Mark Hulette
04-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Dennis-

Mark S mentioned pizza... the first thing that came to my mind was Jimmy Hoffa! :eek:

I've got to get more details on the alcohol drying method... just cut down a pear tree in the backyard and would like to try it out.

Let's see the results of those shavings!! (as soon as they're ready- of course)