PDA

View Full Version : SawStop and dado blades

Tom Gerken
09-11-2012, 8:37 PM
SawStop users.

Looking into a new or used table saw and the SawStop is on the short list. Question; Can you install an 8” dado blade without changing the cartridge? Obviously the brake would not work in this instance. I like the idea of the brake since I putz around on the guitar, but can’t see changing cartridges every time I dado. I believe that there is bypass mode.....

Thanks

Grant Wilkinson
09-11-2012, 9:30 PM
This is in the FAQ on the Sawstop site

Yes. SawStop saws support 8″ dado sets. The optional dado brake cartridge must be used for dado cuts. It has a larger brake pawl designed to stop the multiple blades in a dado set. In addition, you will also need to purchase a zero-clearance insert for your dado set

Prashun Patel
09-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Tom, to clarify Grant's response: NO, you cannot use the 8" dado with the 10" brake. Even in bypass mode, the saw requires a certain distance between the blade and the brake. It will not work the way you plan. I know this because I wanted to do the same thing, and they told me what I'm saying.

Roger Feeley
09-11-2012, 10:35 PM
ditto on the previous posters. It only takes a moment to change the cartridge. I wouldn't worry about it.

I did something to trick out my Sawstop that I really love. One of the most intimidating sights on a table saw is looking down that huge dado throat plate at that whirling blade. I don't care that I have the SS safety system, that thing is still scary. I took a throat plate and milled out a slot from the back of the plate to accept a dovetailed wood insert. the inspiration came from the old Wood Dynamics plate (no longer made). I have about 20 inserts made up but it would be easy to make more. Each time I set up a different combination of blades, I put in another plate. So basically, I have a collection of zero clearance plates.

Sam Blanchard
09-11-2012, 11:57 PM
And when you do switch out the brake, make sure to reset the distance from the brake to your 8" dado blade(s). DAMHIKT

Gary Venable
09-12-2012, 9:42 AM
The change of the brake cartridge is just very easy and quick, especially in the scope of installing the dado itself. It really is a non issue once you have done it a couple of times.

-Gary

Tom Gerken
09-12-2012, 8:58 PM
Thanks guys. Now I just need the cash$$$.