PDA

View Full Version : New Member from NY

Jackie McGowan
04-13-2005, 11:46 PM
Hi Everyone, I just wanted to say hello & thank you. My Husband and I have been talking a long time about starting a laser business of our own (home based for now). We both have minimal but some laser experience from a previous job & I am and have been a graphic artist in the promotional items business for 17 yrs now (unfortunately not my business). I myself have also been a crafty person so the thought of having my own laser just makes my head spin with ideas. I have been working with corel draw for 5 yrs now (I used to be a mac/adobe illustrator person). We are currently deciding on what laser to get. I won't ask the question (what laser to buy). I have read many threads here and it has been very helpful, so we just have to make the final decision. Once we get one I am sure we will have many questions. If I can be of help to anyone regarding corel draw itself I will certainly try (currently using version 11). Actually I do have a question if any one could help - What are some of the ways you market your lasered products from a home based business (besides a web site which I am currently building myself). Also I'm really curious to know about marketing to construction contractors and the like. My brother is a construction project manager for a company in NYC that restores buildings inside and out and I may be able to get some contacts in that area (was thinking of marble and granite work). Anyway hello to all and thanks to all for the info so far. This forum ia a great thing.
Jackie
Almost a laser person :p

Tyler Howell
04-14-2005, 8:34 AM
Welcome Jackie,

Great bunch of folks here

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2005, 8:43 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jackie! Neat place to exchange information!

Mark Singer
04-14-2005, 9:25 AM
Welcome Jackie....this is a nice place...relaxing....and the mouse doesn't bite:confused:

Tom Hurlebaus
04-14-2005, 9:44 AM
Jackie,

As you’ve already discovered, this is a great forum with allot of talented people willing to share their experiences and opinions (I'm not one of them).

Welcome … we’ll all be interested in seeing some of your work in the future. I can’t help much with your laser questions, because :) I don’t know what a laser is used for ??

Again, glad you found us …. Scroller Tom

Ted Shrader
04-14-2005, 9:53 AM
Hi Jackie -

Glad to have you and your husband in the gang. A great bunch of folks here at the Creek. Please venture on over to the other forums and participate in the discussions there.

Welcome,
Ted

Nick Adams
04-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Welcome to the creek.

On thing I have done which helped alot was contact the major construction contractors, I have also been looking for the national contract labor listings which I know what look like but have eluded me.

Basically after contacting the larger contractors in my area I went back to engraving awards and such, 3 weeks later I recieved a phone call from a company that builds self storage units. They wanted number tags for above the units doors and also a letter on the end of the building. I of course took the job and since then (5 weeks) have done a total of 2800 self storage tags from st. louis to texas and even east to south carolina. Once one person found out that I made them (and had a good price) I was recieving calls about them from "friends" of these guys about doing a buddies self storage shed in blah blah.

Sorry for the rambling. Basically get your name, and even more so your products into the peoples hands that can sell it for you without knowing it!

I would love to do more artistic work with my laser but have found the market to be "hit or miss" at best. However the industrial marking business is going strong!

Kevin Huffman
04-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jackie,

Where the people are great and the information is even better.

If you have any questions this is great place to get answers.

George M. Perzel
04-14-2005, 6:43 PM
Hi Jackie;
Welcome to the Creek-great people who are always helpful and willing to share. Where are you guys in New York? I'm up in the Rochester area-yea, I still have my snow tires on!
Best regards;
George M. Perzel

John Shuk
04-14-2005, 6:53 PM
Hi,
Jackie. Welcome. I'm also a New Yorker. Closer to the city than George though!
John

Roy Brewer
04-14-2005, 10:43 PM
- What are some of the ways you market your lasered products from a home based business -

Jackie,

I often suggest the following to new laser owners looking to grow their business.

1) Contact locally owned office supply stores (not the "megastores" they have contracted this out already). These businesses typically turn down small sign business on a weekly (if not daily) basis. Offer them a small POP display. You'll find about 1/2 of them will be interested and a 1/4 of them will say "nah, but leave me some of your cards so when someone asks..."

2) Similarly, contact small sign shops(vinyl lettering businesses); yes, even the franchises like Fastsigns, SignsNow, etc. These people can make big signs but their equipment will not allow them to make small signs (nametags, desk plates, door signs). They, likewise, turn down orders for that which is a "piece of cake" for lasers several times a week if they have not already worked a deal with a local engraver.

3) Local cabinet maker for custom/exclusive designs on their products.

4) Local woodworking clubs/organizations. They need someone to engrave their pens (and etc.).

5) Anytime there is a craft show in a local mall (or elsewhere), walk through with a handful of cards and let the craftspersons know you can personalize/decorate many of their products.

6) Quilters (or quilting clubs). Let them know you can semi-mass produce their blanks.

7) Builders of exclusive/expensive homes. Their customers love laser engraved tile murals for entry hallway, restroom, floor, etc.

8) Any fast food place where you see employees w/o nametags or with temporary "taped on" nametags. Every franchise owner knows permanent nametags improve employee morale, but they have a difficult time finding someone who can turn tags around as their employees "turn around."

9) In addition to the electrical contractors you mentioned, every machine/equipment manufacturer in your area is probably having a difficult time finding someone interested in doing their labels, data plates etc. Let them know what you can do and how fast they can expect your turnaround to be (be conservative!!).

Here's what happens to most laser owners. They take *every* possible order they can in the beginning. As machine time starts to max out, they decide what they really like to do (normally, but not always, based on the profit) and start raising their prices on the things they really don't want to do. Then there are usually some adjustments because they find the people they to whom they double(?) the price to run off, don't run off and now doing there work is more pleasant. {;<)

I'm not out of suggestions, just out of time.

Keith Outten
04-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Heres a tip I like to share.

Find a source for very old newspapers, I recently used a local newspaper dated May 1929. Look at the advertisements and try to find an ad that was placed by a company that still exists in your local area. Scan and engrave the advertisement on any medium you feel is best, I like to use black marble.

When you visit the company with the plaque you will most likely be wisked down the hallway to a managers office, you may even find yourself in the owners office. This gets you a casual meeting with someone who makes decisions and can dicuss the services you can provide that will enhance their business.

The next time you visit it is a safe bet your plaque will be hanging in their lobby or showroom, what company wouldn't like to let their customers know that they have been around for 50 to 100 years :)

Jackie McGowan
04-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Hi Again everyone Thanks to all for the welcomes and thanks for all of the marketing ideas/tips great stuff to know. To John Shuk We are in orange county NY :)
Jackie

John Shuk
04-16-2005, 9:42 PM
Don't tell me you are from Chester. I used to live there and there was a McGowen family in my neighborhood. I actually lived all around Orange County before I settled over here. My wife is from Monroe. It's nice to see some Creekers from my area! By the way good luck with the business. I think Keith has a great idea with the old newspapers!

Jackie McGowan
04-18-2005, 4:34 PM
We are in New Windsor, lived here all my life. Right now we are in the midst of a big sprawl (mcmansions popping up everywhere) I hate it but at least maybe it will mean more business for us!

John Shuk
04-18-2005, 7:08 PM
Orange county is booming! I work for Verizon and used to work out of the Newburgh garage. We put in alot of cable for those Mcmansions. It really is a shame about all of the building though. Union Avenue is a nightmare. All of the farmland is going away.

Gary Shoemake
04-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Hey John

I retired from Verizon as a cable splicer 2.5 years ago, boy it's not like it used to be. I still go by cable that was placed before I left and it's still not spliced. I hope things are in better shape where you not like southern NJ. My daughter used to live in Beacon, been through the Newburgh area quite often. I have some relatives in the Binghamton area and I know what you folks mean about the farm land going away. Anyway good luck in all your endeavors, if you guys ever get as far south in NJ as Cape May is there any place further south? Drop me a line and maybe we can get together.

Gary

John Shuk
04-20-2005, 8:23 PM
Gary,
I sent you a PM. I don't want to totally hijack the thread.
John