PDA

View Full Version : Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me (done w/Zinsser)

Rich Engelhardt
09-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Well,,,this makes two sour jobs in a row where Zinsser waterborne primer failed miserably..
The first one, about six months ago, I sort of chalked up to a bad substrate and/or some sort of contaminate.

This one though is different. I know what material was used, how it was applied and the enviroment it's in.

Both Zinsser Bullseye 1*2*3 and Zinsser Fast Prime 2 were tried, on seperate walls.

Both ended up bubbling on the surface and blistering. The blistering went down to the previous coat - which means that the lack of adhesion was between the Zinsser and what was on the wall.
Some parts of the wall even blistered down to the drywall compound I used to patch with.

@ this point, I'm done w/Zinsser except for B*I*N and their shellac products.
I'm going to switch over to Kilz and see if it's still a decent material.

It's a shame since I've been using Zinsser products for over 40 years & it just seem to be recently, since Zinsser was taken over by RPM, that their primers have gone downhill.
I have to believe @ this point that either RPM has altered the formula to either cut costs or to comply w/VOC regulations.

I know there's a fair number of DIY'ers here that use primers/sealers on a regular basis.
My advice would be to be somewhat wary of any of the Zinsser waterborne primers.

This one would have hurt had it set back the schedule the two days it's going to take to repair the walls.
Fortunately, the tile guy is tied up until Thursday & I have tie to sand, patch and repaint.

Ralph Boumenot
09-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Zinsser being taken over by RPM explains the jump in the price for a qt of sealer shellac at the Lowes where I used to buy it. It was about $11 and now it's $15 and change.

Jim Koepke
09-11-2012, 1:00 PM
Zinsser being taken over by RPM explains the jump in the price for a qt of sealer shellac at the Lowes where I used to buy it. It was about $11 and now it's $15 and change.

Someone has to pay for the cost of buying out another company. It is usually us, the (formerly) loyal customer.

jtk

Rick Potter
09-11-2012, 1:22 PM
Dunn Edwards makes a couple grades of primer, and has one that will probably stick to anything. I used it for fiberglass doors. It was recommended by a pro painter.

Rick Potter

Rich Engelhardt
09-11-2012, 3:06 PM
Zinsser being taken over by RPM explains the jump in the price for a qt of sealer shellac at the Lowes where I used to buy it. It was about $11 and now it's $15 and changeIIRC, the huge jump in shellac prices ~ a year ago was blamed on some sort of problem with the harvest.
RPM bought out Zinsser some time back. It's not a recent take over.
However - it's probalby due to them anyhow.
Sort of like B&D and Porter Cable..

Brian Elfert
09-11-2012, 4:32 PM
Prices of paint have gone through the roof due to higher costs of raw materials. I can barely buy a gallon of low grade paint for what a gallon of premium high grade paint cost five or six years ago.

glenn bradley
09-11-2012, 4:51 PM
IIRC, the huge jump in shellac prices ~ a year ago was blamed on some sort of problem with the harvest.

That's right. And coffee prices jumped for the same reason. They'll be comin' back down any day now :D

Butch Edwards
09-18-2012, 4:48 PM
IIRC, the huge jump in shellac prices ~ a year ago was blamed on some sort of problem with the harvest.
yep... my shellac flakes nearly doubled due to bad conditions for the bugs... 1 lb of flakes now is almost 30 bucks....

Kevin W Johnson
09-22-2012, 10:25 PM
That's right. And coffee prices jumped for the same reason. They'll be comin' back down any day now :D

Yeah, like never....

Orange juice shot up several years ago because of a freeze and subsequent bad harvest in FL. To date, the price has never gone below what it jumped to at that time. Many more examples I'm sure....

Hmmm, orange juice... time to pour glass now that it's on the brain...

John C Lawson
09-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Yeah, like never....

Orange juice shot up several years ago because of a freeze and subsequent bad harvest in FL. To date, the price has never gone below what it jumped to at that time. Many more examples I'm sure....

Hmmm, orange juice... time to pour glass now that it's on the brain...

And notice that a half-gallon of orange juice is now 59 ounces...