PDA

View Full Version : connecting 6" PVC ducting to flex hose

Richard Shaefer
09-11-2012, 7:33 AM
I'v been setting my cyclone up with 6" PVC ducting in my shop and I plan on connecting to 6" flex hose to go the the various tools. The snag is that the 6" flex hose will not fit over the 6" PVC duct. Is there an adapter fitting to make this work?

Matt Meiser
09-11-2012, 8:49 AM
Try slipping it into the bell end of the pipe, or into a fitting. That's worked well for me since someone here posted the trick. Before that, I used to use a short section of metal pipe inside the PVC and inside the flex.

Rick Moyer
09-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Cut a short pc of 6" and then cut a kerf lengthwise. This should slip into the inside of the other duct and give you a smaller diameter for the flex to fit over. If you size(kerf) it right you won't even need to fasten it to the 6"duct mechanically.

Kurt Cady
09-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Carefully cut out the wire for 1 or 2 revolutions. Then it will snuggly fit over the pipe

Ole Anderson
09-11-2012, 1:10 PM
You have discovered one of the disadvantages of using PVC for duct.

Richard Shaefer
09-11-2012, 3:11 PM
You have discovered one of the disadvantages of using PVC for duct.

The only other disadvantage I know of is when you dry fit a 45* fitting and it falls 4 feet, hits you in the head, and gives you a harry potter srack in your skull. probably shoulda gotten stitches...

thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll try the saw kerf idea first.

Clint Olver
09-12-2012, 12:07 AM
All you need to do is use a hair dryer to heat up the flex hose. Blow the air into the end of the hose, then pull the hose end open. You Can pull 6" flex over a 7" pipe this way!

C

Alan Schaffter
09-12-2012, 12:14 AM
If you are using ASTM 2729 (not Sched 40) PVC, with just a little work you can slide the hose inside the bell end - if you leave about 4" of pipe when you cut off the bell end you'll have a male quick disconnect. If you don't have any bell ends, just slip the hose into a coupling and you have a female quick disconnect. Adding a short length of pipe to the coupling turns it into a male quick disconnect.

To make it easier to slip the hose into the bell end or a fitting, lubricate it with a mix of water and dish washing detergent. Once the water dries it will stay put. If it doesn't just add a small screw through coupling so it catches a coil. All my hoses have quick disconnects made from bell ends. My wall, floor, and machine ports are female fittings and before I permanently mounted and automated the blast gates, they had a male and female sides so I could mount them anywhere.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1329/medium/P3070164.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1329/medium/P3070161.JPG