PDA

View Full Version : What is best paint for metal railings?

dennis thompson
09-11-2012, 7:09 AM
I have to paint some metal railings on my front steps. They are peeling in some spots so I'll have to sand those spots down to bare metal
My questions are:
-Do I need to spot prime the bare metal spots ?
-is Rustoleum the best paint to use? If not what paint would you recommend?
Thanks
Dennis

Chris Damm
09-11-2012, 8:13 AM
Yes you should prime any bare spots. I've always had good luck with Rustoleum.

Jerome Stanek
09-11-2012, 11:40 AM
I like Benjamin Moore industrial paint. That is what we used on the exterior doors and hand rails on the Drug stores that we painted.

Von Bickley
09-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Take them down and have them powder coated......

Ole Anderson
09-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Just don't use latex house paint. Try Rustoleum Hammered. I sprayed some, looked like a factory paint job, also available in cans, but I don't know how well it brushes. Goes over lightly rusted metal as it includes a primer. Lots of good reviews on some of the car forums for misc under hood metal and Jeep trim. I have used it on some Jeep frame areas, on a piece of lightly rusted EMT used as a spa cover support, on my home a/c unit and on an old rusted power roof vent.

Mel Fulks
09-11-2012, 1:08 PM
I think the biggest problem keeping paint on is most of the rails are two pieces spot welded together. The rust starts in the unpainted chanel and travels. Took mine down,turned it upside down,treated with Ospho .Then calked and painted with Rustoleum. I will not accept another rail without a continuos weld.

Rich Engelhardt
09-11-2012, 3:10 PM
I like Benjamin Moore industrial paint. That is what we used on the exterior doors and hand rails on the Drug stores that we painted.
Can you even get that anymore here in Ohio?
( I realize the OP is in NJ)....

I had seven kinds of fits trying to find 4 gallons of oil based gloss 6 months ago.
I got tired of calling/looking and just sucked it up and went with a latex for what I was doing.