PDA

View Full Version : LV bevel up jointer

Mark Baldwin III
09-10-2012, 7:23 PM
Hey, all! I haven't been around much lately, but I just wanted to share my good mood...
I recently purchased a LV bevel up jointer and couldn't be happier. I spent a long time trying to decide between three options: getting an old plane and restoring it, an LN, or the LV. I finally pulled the trigger on the LV . I also got the jointer fence. This plane is awesome! I went with the O1 iron, which is ground at 25 degrees. Only a couple of minutes on an 8000 grit stone was enough to get the iron cutting. Refreshing the iron after some use I went straight to the 8000 and it sharpened up quickly. (a Norton 8000 stone was another recent purchase I'm very happy with )
Having a solid, straight, nearly maintenance free plane really helps with confidence. I can just set up and go. With my limited time, that's a big plus.
Just thought I'd throw out my 2 cents for anyone who might be on the fence about buying a new jointer.
if you want a little more detail: http://milwaukeemonastery.blogspot.com/2012/09/lee-valley-low-angle-jointer.html#more

Bob Jones
09-10-2012, 11:37 PM
I think you mean bevel up?? :)

Jim Koepke
09-11-2012, 2:21 AM
From some of the prices I see for the old Stanley/Bailey or Bedrock jointers, you have likely not only saved yourself some time, but also some frustration.

My philosophy has been that if one has more time than money, buy old as cheap as possible and restore. If one has more money than time, then buying new is a good investment.

I recently bought a wreck of a #8 for $5. Eventually I will find a frog and repair the handle to make a working plane. Not what anyone would think of as a good straight out of the box experience like a new LV or LN plane has to offer.

jtk

Chris Griggs
09-11-2012, 6:02 AM
Welcome back Mark. That's a mighty nice looking plane - glad to hear you're enjoying your new tool.

IIRC, you like to make your own planes, and have made some pretty nice ones in the past - I'm surprised making your own jointer wasn't on your list of possibilities.

(EDIT: I just read your blog post, and see that you already have your own house made jointer and wanted something wider. 2 is better than 1 anyway :) )

Mark Baldwin III
09-11-2012, 6:01 PM
I think you mean bevel up?? :)
I don't know why I keep doing that, but it's fixed now. doh!

Jim-Like you, I enjoy rehabbing planes. The jointer has been a sticking point. The ones that I've seen in my area have all been in really rough shape, and WAY overpriced. A Stanley number 7 with a braze repair isn't worth $40 to me. I've seen them worse, but haven't seen any that are much better. One of the few good ones I saw had a $300 price tag!! The woodies around here are usually pretty beaten too. So, I did a rare thing and bought a brand new plane. This is one of the few occasions that I decided to spend my money instead of my time.
My shop made jointer is good for edge work, but is not fun at all when doing a large board. I made that thing with a narrow iron.

bob blakeborough
09-11-2012, 8:04 PM
I absolutely LOVE my Vertias BU Jointer as well. I have the BU Smoother and LA Jack as well and the combo of those 3 planes is ridiculous! Handles pretty much anything one could throw at them!

Veritas BU planes = AWESOME!!!

Did I mention I am a Veritas fanboy??? :o

Mark Baldwin III
09-13-2012, 5:35 AM
I absolutely LOVE my Vertias BU Jointer as well. I have the BU Smoother and LA Jack as well and the combo of those 3 planes is ridiculous! Handles pretty much anything one could throw at them!

Veritas BU planes = AWESOME!!!

Did I mention I am a Veritas fanboy??? :o
I'm considering the low angle jack plane, we'll see how the money situation looks in the fall. It might be an excuse to jump on the PM steel bandwagon. It's only appropriate since I finally jumped on the low angle bandwagon. I would be hard pressed to buy another smoother...I've got one I love and I'm building another at the moment.
It's not hard to be a Veritas fan.

roger m lance
09-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Mark....I also bought the Veritas bu jointer....actually all five bu planes....so my plane "needs" are satisfied (also some Veritas specialty planes as well)....its good to be an LV fan....I have dealt with many tool companies over the years....and many of those companies are either no longer in business or they aren't the companies they use to be....for a new woodworker, you will not do wrong with LV or LN.

glenn bradley
09-14-2012, 5:53 PM
Another fan here. Even better, it was a present ;-)

lowell holmes
09-14-2012, 7:38 PM
I have the low angle Jack and the bevel up smoother. They share the same irons, and I have all of the irons. If I didn't have abedrock jointer, I would buy the BU jointer.