PDA

View Full Version : Restored an old friend

steven c newman
09-10-2012, 7:09 PM
That I turned back in high School Industrial Arts class. About 1968-69 maybe. Lathe MIGHt have been an old Rockwell lathe since the Factory was just about 12 miles away. 240911I found this "gem" in my late Dad's tool box. 240912along with that Defiance square, and the Craftsman ratchet. All three were just sitting around, getting rusty. Time for a clean-up. yes, I did indeed turn the parts for that hammer, and threaded the two together. Almost a "War Hammer"? A couple more looks at these older hand tools?240913Model #1221. 240914even had to clean up the edges...240916 just an old, hand made hammer....

Paul Sikorski
09-11-2012, 3:49 PM
Well Done. Looks like they are ready for their second life.

steven c newman
09-12-2012, 10:27 AM
If I recall Correctly, that old metal lathe even had a gear set up to make threads on parts. I think that is how I added the knurling on the handle. Had a two wheeled knurler in the place where a lathe tool would go, start the tool where you needed the knurls to start, engage the gears, and the knurling started to form. I think we even case hardened the hammer heads back then. Add a type of "salt' to a heated hammer head. I THINK that was the way it was done. LONG time ago for me, lots of water has gone under the bridge since that time. Sgt. Pepper has just coming to the stores.