PDA

View Full Version : Engravelab Photolaser

Ernie Martinez
09-10-2012, 6:49 PM
I just received my machine today and with it I purchased Engravelab Photolaser +. So far the images that are rendered in the program are terrible. I am able to take jpeg images, convert them to bitmaps, set the resolution and invert to engrave into granite without any problem just using Corel. But anything I do using Photo Laser ....forgive my french......sucks!

I followed the ...ughmmm, manual (10 printed pages) and followed the instructions, but every image is so screwed up with respect to resolution it's unusable. I'm not even talking about the engraved product, the preview on the screen is horrible. I don't know what the benefit to having this product is.

With Photo laser I import the jpeg image, then crop it, then I set the image size to 300 dpi, then I transform/photolaser/interactive, then I select the high contrast granite. The resulting transformed image looks terrible.

Can someone set me straight here.

Otherwise having a great time with the machine!

My setup

Glen Monaghan
09-10-2012, 8:58 PM
You can't easily judge the final result on stone based on how it looks on screen. If it looks like a "good" photo on screen, it definitely will suck on granite. The stone surface doesn't respond linearly to grey scale lasering, and you'll probably have to make the on screen picture look horribly blown out and overly high contrast to get a good engraved image.

-Glen

Ernie Martinez
09-11-2012, 8:53 AM
Sorry but it also looked like crap on stone. Like I said in my post, I can get a really nice image in Corel Draw, and it engraves rather nicely as well. What I get in Photo Laser + is garbage.

Martin Boekers
09-11-2012, 9:32 AM
Check and see if they have a You Tube Video. You may be missing a setting. Check resolution settings. The preview on the screen (is that your file preview or what
it should look like engraved on your substrate?) if it's the file it should look screwed up as it probably is a series of dots (1 bit) have you tried a test at different
laser settings? Granite is very critical, marble is fairly easy. You can search here as someone posted once about setting up a "grid test" to narrow down settings quickly.
Also Rodne Gold set up an action to converrt to photos, search Gold Method. I use PhotoGrav & Corel. Roy Brewer has an excellent video optimising in Corel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllZTBA0HO0&feature=related