PDA

View Full Version : good wood for soy sauce dish

Craig Behnke
09-10-2012, 4:46 PM
i'm making a sushi plate and want to incorporate a little dish for the soy and wasabi mixture. the plate will be tiger maple or black walnut (haven't decided yet). I'm not sure what to make the soy/wasabi dish out of. since it will be used for eating, I will treat it with a mineral oil/beeswax finish,...also because one of the recipients has a nut allergy.

I have some maple and walnut that I wanted to use, but would the soy sauce stain the light colored maple over time? Here are the woods I have available, what would be best to use for the soy dish part?

maple
walnut
purpleheart
ash
rosewood

any input appreciated. Thanks.

Jay Jolliffe
09-10-2012, 5:26 PM
A while back I was looking for sushi tray designs & I ran onto this.....You don't have to worry about the soy staining the wood....You can get different240909 glass soy dishes

John Lifer
09-10-2012, 11:00 PM
If there is nut allergy, I'd not use walnut.... go with ash or maple..but I do like using the glass soy dishes.

Craig Behnke
09-11-2012, 8:20 AM
A while back I was looking for sushi tray designs & I ran onto this.....You don't have to worry about the soy staining the wood....You can get different240909 glass soy dishes

Yeah, I'll probably wind up going with glass dishes, time is short and I need to wrap this project up. Thanks for the responses.

Brian Tymchak
09-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Ash is fairly porous like Oak and it might be difficult to get a waterproof finish on it. I'd opt for Hard Maple for anything that's going to contain fluids.

Howard Acheson
09-11-2012, 11:15 AM
There is no finish that will stand up to soy sauce or wasabi. Both will penetrate any finish within a short period. I suggest you test out your plans by letting soy sauce and/or wasabi set in plate for a period of time.

I would use a glass cup or ramekin. Rout indentations into the wooden holding tray for the ramekin's to sit in.

Peter Quinn
09-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Rosewood and purpleheart are both toxic, skip those. Ash is a sponge, I'd skiP that to. But the maple could work. I have several small maple, salt ramikins that occasionally get a liquid in them. I would soak them in soy, use it as the finish! Stain them evenly, let them dry, then oil them.