PDA

View Full Version : Residue from poly masking showing on cut acrylic pieces

Greg Facer
09-10-2012, 3:33 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't been doing much of any laser work as "my" laser (the one at my location of our company) is still without a working tube. However, some jobs still can do better by a laser rather than the CNC routers we have in house....so I shoot those out to our other location to cut.

The last two jobs have both had the same issue, and maybe most of the product cut has too, I wouldn't know. The issue is that the cut has a trace of the blue from the polyethylene masking that shows in the the final product. That is, of course, with blued masked acrylic, and of the extruded variety.

I could use cast, but the offshore cast sometimes does not glue well and the extruded always does (with no crazing if I keep off the edge 1/16 and glue about 48 hours after cutting). In this particular case I didn't have the time to find a suitable cast sheet either.

Has anyone had the same problem, any ideas to fix. The machine is a Shenhui 1290, 150w RECI that may or may not be quite as dialed in as it should as it was cutting slowly too (4.5mm acrylic at 10mm/s 95% power).

I'll try to post a photo later today.

Greg

Mike Null
09-10-2012, 6:09 PM
I always remove the poly protective sheet before cutting or engraving.

Joe Pelonio
09-10-2012, 8:36 PM
I always remove the poly protective sheet before cutting or engraving.
Me too. If you want to protect it remove the blue plastic and add paper transfer tape.