PDA

View Full Version : Contractors/portable saw recommendations?

Bob Johnson2
04-13-2005, 5:37 PM
Looking to pick up a contractors or portable table saw for my son for graduation, does anyone know of a decent one for not more then $500? He has a circular and jig saw so something free standing.

Thanks
Bob

Jamie Buxton
04-13-2005, 5:49 PM
Depends on what you mean by "portable". Me, I have a cabinet saw in the shop, but I wanted a table saw I could carry to off-site jobs. A big requirement for me was that I be able to carry the thing myself through a normal front door without fear of dinging the house. Most contractors or "portable" saws do not fulfill this requirement. YMMV.

Rick Shelton
04-13-2005, 6:17 PM
For portability and accuracy of cut, I don't think you can do any better than the Bosch 4000. I had one for 2 years that I used out in the field. It will rip 2x with no problems at all (and using a 1/8 kerf blade). I can't say a bad thing about it, other than I wish they had the rolling stand when I bought mine.

Nick Mitchell
04-13-2005, 7:24 PM
I've been researching these saws lately as well. After checking out most of the major players, the Bosch seems to be the best, and that's what I'll be going with.

Bob Johnson2
04-13-2005, 8:43 PM
Depends on what you mean by "portable". Me, I have a cabinet saw in the shop, but I wanted a table saw I could carry to off-site jobs. A big requirement for me was that I be able to carry the thing myself through a normal front door without fear of dinging the house. Most contractors or "portable" saws do not fulfill this requirement. YMMV.

I'm looking for a saw that can be slid or easily moved out of the way as he'll have to use it in his garage, for $500 or less. I'll check out the Bosch.

Thanks all

Bob Yarbrough
04-13-2005, 9:25 PM
How about a Fes Tool?

Tom Jones III
04-14-2005, 9:30 AM
I had a Ryobi BT 3000 for years. I made quite a bit of furniture with it. It costs $299 from Home Depot.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-14-2005, 10:04 AM
I have the Craftsman Jobsite saw. It has done everything that I have asked of it. I still have this saw in my shop and I don't have any plans in the near future to replace it. Cuts accruate, is easy to move and stores in a VERY small space.

Good luck with your search!

AJ Hamler
04-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Because of the small size of my shop in the basement of the condo where I used to live, I used a Porter-Cable portable table saw for a number of years. I have a larger shop now and replaced it with a larger saw last year, but it did the job reliably for several years. Good saw.

A.J.

Joe Unni
04-14-2005, 5:08 PM
I vote Bosch. I've used it extensively - it will handle just about everything you can throw at it!

Good luck,
-joe

David Figueroa
04-14-2005, 5:38 PM
If you have a Home Depot nearby you might want to consider the Ridgid TS2400. I comes with a rollaway stand. There is a good comparison between the forementioned Bosch and the Rigid. It is slightly cheaper than the Bosch, but it has a better fence.

I had the Bosch for a while, but returned it. I was dissappointed with the fence, and table was not flat; Otherwise it is a nice machine. The splitter/riv knife was great. I would probably have kept it had I not found out about the F&E guided systems.

John Longwitz
04-14-2005, 7:14 PM
Bosch 4000...smooth..powerful...I can carry it!!!...gravity drop folding stand a marvel...use full kerf blades no problem...miter gauge sucks so got Incra 1000SE and fine as can be