PDA

View Full Version : Laser Power Issues

Ernie DeMartino
09-09-2012, 5:05 PM
While I was engraving earlier today, I noticed the laser continued to fire when I paused the machine. I had to turn the laser power off to get it to stop. I rebooted, tried again, this time I was engraving an image, the laser continued to fire well past the image ruining the wood. It seems to vector cut fine, raster sometimes it works other times same result. When it does happen the Red LED stays on and the laser continues to fire. I'm running a Chinese 60W. At this point I'm not sure if it's a power issue; maybe the power supply? Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
Thanks Ernie

walter hofmann
09-10-2012, 5:28 AM
what is in your machine a DSP or moshidraw??
gretings
walt

Ernie DeMartino
09-10-2012, 7:16 AM
Walt,
its a DSP, MPC6515. I think I need to replace. Not sure why I thought the PS was the issue.
Thanks
Ernie

Alexa Ristow
09-10-2012, 9:09 AM
Hi Ernie,

Your MPC 6515 has corrupted memory. Oher symptoms of this included power settings that do not match sent settings or the head flies off in a ramdom direction.

These instances are generally related to either voltage spikes or earthing issues.

We have not found a miracle cure other than to spend time repeatedly downloading the cfg files. We aslo spent time replacing the firmware files via the memory stick without success. it just takes patience and the machine will come right. i have come close o replacing the controller boar on 2 occasions but research on the web shows that this kind of behavior is linked to this model. The MPC 6535 borad is an upgrade and the manufacturer, Leetro, suggest that the upgrade includes better shielding and is more stable. if you do go the route of replacing the controller, go with the 6535 instead.

Regards,

Alexa.

Rodne Gold
09-10-2012, 9:38 AM
Had the same and other random issues with my Shenuis on first fire up. Despite the fact that they stress a copper ground rod , we didn't do it , thinking the electrical ground was ok. Anyway to cut a long story short , we tied all grounds to a busbar on the chassis (secured metal to metal) Drove a copper rod about 4ft into the ground and tied the machine earth busbar to that..problems solved.

Ernie DeMartino
09-10-2012, 7:37 PM
Thanks Alexa and Rodne. I found a connection off of the MPC that was loose. On my initial check I didn't see it until I removed the termination and the wire came out of the crimp. So far so good, hopefully that cleared up the issue.
Alexa,
Have you replaced the 6515 with the 6535? I'm wondering if I should order one as a backup.
Rodne,
I'll keep that in mind, mine is grounded back to the electrical panel.
Thanks Again.
Ernie

Alexa Ristow
09-11-2012, 4:45 AM
Hi Ernie,

Not yet.

We have also done our earthing the same way as Rodney and we are more stable.

I was in a local supplier of laser equipment yesterday and they are now pulling out he MPC 6515 and upgrading to the MPC 6535 as a standard before selling new cabinets. I will hold onto my board until I have a hardware failure. My laser is now in its fifth year and has worked very hard. The only items replaced have been tubes and a lens. Having a local supplier with controllers on hand has eased my mind greatly. If you don't have a local supplier, go to WWW dot aliexpress dot com. They are resellers and I have seen kits to upgrade the controller, inteface and software on offer. Price looks to be very reasonable.

Regards,

Alexa.