PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Inside Bowls

Ed Scolforo
04-13-2005, 5:02 PM
Hi All. I have a question re. buffing the inside of bowls: I have the Beall 3-On buffing system for my Jet Mini. Being that the wheels are so close, I can't get inside to buff anything other than a shallow bowl. I thought the Bowl Buffs would be a good solution.Mr. Beall says a hand drill is not suitable for use with his bowl buffs because you won't get enough RPM's to do a good job, (need 3000 rpm) unless you do it with the bowl still on the lathe. Seems to me you would still need to have the tenon on do do that.They do sell a morse taper adaptor to use with the lathe. It seems like this would more severely limit the diameter of what you're buffing. Or maybe not that badly, considering the overall limitations of the lathe.Other than that, is there another way to buff the inside? I have a Milwaukee close quarter drill coming and was hoping to be able to use that. Thanks for any input.
Ed

Harry Pye
04-13-2005, 6:54 PM
Ed,

I have a set of the 3" bowl buffs and an adapter that threads on the 1"-8 tpi headstock. It is about 8" long and on the end opposite the headstock it is threaded for the bowl buffs. I run it at about 1800 rpm on my Delta Midi and am happy with the results. I think it was a good choice since you can also buff things like pens and ornaments. The Beal is a great system.

Carole Valentine
04-14-2005, 12:27 AM
I use the bowl buffs but mount them on the lathe and hold the bowl to them. That way you have enough RPMs for them to be effective.

keith zimmerman
04-14-2005, 3:27 PM
I found the Don Pencil bowl buff system to be vastly superior to Beall's. Pencil's has aluminum adapter that threads on to the headstock spindle and accepts a stepped cone that the buffs screw on to. Very easy to use and the buffs seem softer than Beall's to me.

This is my opinion only and I have no affiliation with Pencil. I am just a user of his product.

keith

Ed Scolforo
04-14-2005, 5:45 PM
Thanks Guys: I ordered the Beall 3" bowl buffs today. Figured I would stick to the system I already have.
Ed

Bill Esposito
04-17-2005, 7:51 PM
Ed,

Order one of these lathe adapters (http://donpencil.com/buffingsystems.htm). They work great and much better than a morse taper.

keith zimmerman
04-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Ed,

The link Bill posted is for the entire Pencil system. I have seen it demonstrated and, as I mentioned earlier, own the 3" buffs.

keithz

Ed Scolforo
04-19-2005, 4:38 PM
Keith or Bill: Since I have already ordered the Beall bowl buffs, will the pencil adaptor fit them? Thanks.
Ed

Bill Esposito
04-20-2005, 1:45 AM
Yes, the adapter will fit