PDA

View Full Version : turned box

Anthony Diodati
09-09-2012, 12:42 AM
I had not done nothing on the lathe in a while, I wanted a quick project for someone at work as a gift, Came up with this box.
Kept it simple, sort of reminded me of a shaker style box.
Walnut, shellac finish rubbed out under power and waxed.
Felt in the bottom is a little sloppy (last picture)

Eric Gourieux
09-09-2012, 1:10 AM
That will be a nice gift for somebody, Anthony. What did you use for the handle?

Don Nicholas
09-09-2012, 1:55 AM
Anothny very nice job on the box it reminds me of a Shaker box as well.
A tip, submitted with respect, Joanne Fabrics or a quilt shop has a circle cutting jig that will cut perfect circles it operates like a compass. They also have 2mm sticky back foam in various colors that works for box liners.

Anthony Diodati
09-09-2012, 6:01 AM
Anthony, very nice job on the box it reminds me of a Shaker box as well.
A tip, submitted with respect, Joanne Fabrics or a quilt shop has a circle cutting jig that will cut perfect circles it operates like a compass. They also have 2mm sticky back foam in various colors that works for box liners.

Oh, thank you Don, That circle cutting jig sounds cool. I had traced a circle on the "down side" from a can or something, but it was a little big, so I went around and trimmed it with my scissors, but it didn't work too well, took a little too much off the one side.
The sticky back liners sound cool too, I don't want to use too much of this felt, it's from machinist chest.com, it's for my machinist chest repairs.

That will be a nice gift for somebody, Anthony. What did you use for the handle?

Thanks Eric,
She liked it. She was like "You made that"?
The handle, I was going to turn as well, but I got to looking around ,and found these, actually, they (it) is a knob you would put on a small cabinet door and or drawer. Flea market or home center close out purchase.

Thanks
Tony

Marc Himes
09-09-2012, 9:31 AM
I like the simple form of your box. It does look like a shaker stye box.

Steve Schlumpf
09-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Nice work! I like that you kept the form simple and the use of a pull knob for a handle really works well with the Walnut!

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Really nice box. Love the pull knob.

Anthony Diodati
09-09-2012, 7:56 PM
Thanks Guys,

Anthony Diodati
11-12-2012, 4:46 PM
A few more, Pretty well the same Idea, Time to move forward I guess?
Water base poly and wax.Put a bit of a dome shape on the lids.