PDA

View Full Version : Corel Vector Cut File

Frank Defert
09-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am working on a project that requires multiple pieces of 1/4 baltic birch ply. I can cut the pieces to width and length easy enough on the table saw. But I would like to use the laser to round the corners and cut the inter locking slots. I have attatched a sample file to help with my explanation. If you open the file and highlight it you will see the nodes that make up the corners and slots. I would like to have just the four curves, even the end cuts are ok and then the two slot cutouts and eliminate the long straight sections as it just takes too long with the laser. If someone could share how to do this instead of doing it for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

Tony Lenkic
09-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Frank there are different ways to do this.
I'm giving you one quick way by drawing two rectangles than using "Trim" tool to get your rounded corners.

Glen Monaghan
09-08-2012, 11:09 PM
If I understand correctly, you will cut the rectangle with a saw and then want to cut just the curved corners and slots with the laser?

Select the first curve (which has the corners), switch to the Shape Tool, select all the nodes in that entire curve (either drag marquee around them or click the Select All Nodes icon next to Reduce Nodes on the menu bar), right click one of the nodes and select Break Apart. Then either click the Arrange menu and Break Curve Apart or simply type Ctl-K to separate the curved corners from the straight sections. You can either delete the straight segments now and print the file to the laser, or just shift-click one each of the four curves and two slots and then print selected to the laser (it would be easier to get the cuts right if the shapes and wood pieces are both aligned at top left corner).

-Glen

Rich Harman
09-08-2012, 11:33 PM
I would do it by drawing lines from one node to the other, then use the "virtual segment delete tool" to delete the unwanted lines.

However, I think that I would want the curved parts, or the path that the laser takes, to be a bit longer (lead-ins and outs) so that the cutting is sure to completely cut off the corners.

Mike Null
09-09-2012, 8:40 AM
Frank

If you have a table saw you probably have a router table. I would make a pattern and cut these all with a router. it will be much faster and more precise.

Frank Defert
09-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks to everyone for the great answers and tutorials. But after running some samples it appears that Mike is right, the laser may not be the right tool for this job. Time to build some jigs and get the table saw and router table warmed up.

Thanks,
Frank