PDA

View Full Version : Propane smoker

Dave Lehnert
09-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Trying to get an idea how long a 20 lb propane tank will last in a smoker (for BBQ)

Matt Meiser
09-08-2012, 10:18 PM
A long time. I don't have a good answer because I use my a few times a year at least and usually end up using the tank on the grill when the grill run out.

Dave Lehnert
09-08-2012, 10:55 PM
A long time. I don't have a good answer because I use my a few times a year at least and usually end up using the tank on the grill when the grill run out.
Thanks, Trying to get an idea how much $$$$ to run a smoker for a few hours. Hate to buy one to find out a tank last 2 hours.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Dave....typically a smoker uses a much lower temperature and thus a tank should last longer than what it does on a grill. I cook out on my grill several times a week and usually 2 tanks will get me through the entire summer. I have 3/4 of tank left on the grill. I filled it on the 4th of July.

Tom Fischer
09-09-2012, 3:23 AM
I remember seeing that guy on "Good Eats" show (Alton somebody) saying that propane tanks don't smoke well because propane puts out a lot of water vapor.

I have a Weber propane and regular charcoal Weber 22" round . I use only the 22" with charcoal / apple to smoke with. 5 1/2 hours @ 240 degrees to cook 5 baby back ribs. Can't get that taste in propane.

Mike Cutler
09-09-2012, 6:58 AM
There are approximately 3 1/2 to 4 gallons of propane in a 20lb. bottle. Propane weighs 4.24 lbs per gallon.
Each gallon of propane has about 92,000 BTU's of energy. So each bottle has approximately 322,000-360,000 BTU's of energy.
Divide the BTU's per hour rating of your smoker into 322,000 and that will give you the conservative burn time in hours. If you need more time, or are worried about running out in the middle, get a second bottle and an automatic swap over regulator from an RV supply center. Mr Heater has one for 20lb bottles.
If you really need some smoking time pick up a 100lb cylinder and regulator from Lowes and have it filled. It will weigh close to 175lbs. full. It's the most cost effective way to use propane, but it is heavy to horse around.

I don't know of any portable appliances that have a BTU rating high enough to empty a full 20lb cylinder in two hours. That would be > 150,000 BTU's and would require 3/4" lines to maintain the flow rates. Basically an On Demand water heater, or a whole house furnace would fit this category. The biggest portable appliances I know of are salamander type space heaters.
Your device is probably < 10,000 BTU's.

Chris Damm
09-09-2012, 10:04 AM
I've used my smoker 2-3 times a year for 6 years now and haven't emptied a 20# tank yet. 2-3 hours @225° each time.

Marty Paulus
09-10-2012, 12:31 PM
I have used mine for a whole pork shoulder, about 14 hours in the smoker. Keep in mind the burner on my smoker is only about 2 1/2" in Dia and I don't run it hot, about 200-250 degrees. Didn't even notice any used propane when I put that tank in the grill the next day. If I had to guess you could go a couple of days of run time before running out.

Kevin Bourque
09-10-2012, 4:36 PM
Dave....typically a smoker uses a much lower temperature and thus a tank should last longer than what it does on a grill. I cook out on my grill several times a week and usually 2 tanks will get me through the entire summer. I have 3/4 of tank left on the grill. I filled it on the 4th of July.

Same here. A tank lasts a long time on my grill. I can only imagine it will last twice as long when using it as a low temp smoker.

Larry Frank
09-10-2012, 8:12 PM
I use an electric water smoker. It is one that looks like a small stainless refrigerator and is well insulated. This way I do not have to worry about the gas like on my grill. I have had good luck with it and it is very easy to control the temperature and you have a place to add the chips of your choice. My family is really happy with the ribs that I make.