PDA

View Full Version : I'm baaaaaaaaaack ;-)

Dan Hintz
09-08-2012, 8:33 PM
Well, sort of... I'm working up to it.

I started a new position about 5 months ago, which entailed a 90-day "trial period", so I had to be on my best behavior. This work involves a slew of new material outside of my wheelhouse, and THAT means studying a lot of new material (even now). Juggling all of that and SMC would not have been possible, so I took a 3-month hiatus.

I'm looking forward to get back into the groove of things here, but it'll be a slow transition back... lots of old unread threads to reply to and assert my male dominance in :p

Bruce Boone
09-08-2012, 9:41 PM
What kind of stuff are you working with now Dan?

John Fabre
09-08-2012, 10:26 PM
I thought you were busy running for president, didn't I see you on T.V.?

Larry Edgerton
09-09-2012, 7:36 AM
Wondered where you went.....

Larry

Dan Hintz
09-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Bruce,

A multi-color 3D printer is on order, and I've been working on designs to improve the print quality (among other things) before it even arrives. I continue writing a few pages here and there on my book, when time permits. As a side project to the book research, I've been putting together a lot of notes on creation of a fiber laser. I already have the hardware/software designed for a quality stepper motor controller, but as always, it takes time I don't yet have to get everything put together. I really need to win the lottery and retire ;-)

Bruce Boone
09-09-2012, 10:50 AM
My fiber laser unit arrived and the laser head should be here Tuesday. Inside the laser cabinet is enough electronics to choke a horse. Wires going everywhere. I'm thinking I may need to change my Z stepper motor on the machine I'm retrofitting over to servo in order to get my capacitive height sensing to work the way it's meant to. I can run it with a programmed stepped Z in the short term in order to get things running, but I don't know what it takes to change from stepper to servo using the Mach 3 control. I hear that it's done, so hopefully I can research that more and go in that direction.

The printer sounds like it will be a lot of fun. The time consuming part will be making good 3D solid models in cool shapes that really utilize its capabilities.

Dee Gallo
09-09-2012, 2:23 PM
Welcome back, Dan! Things here will run smoother now that you are back in town. Congrats on the new job, as if you didn't have enough balls in the air!

cheers, dee

Belinda Barfield
09-10-2012, 7:21 AM
Welcome back Dan! I, for one, will rest easier knowing you are on patrol. :D

Phil Thien
09-10-2012, 9:03 AM
I was going to start a "where did Dan Hintz go" thread. I guess that would be the closest we have to a search party.

Bill Cunningham
09-11-2012, 9:34 PM
Welcome back, Dan! Things here will run smoother now that you are back in town. Congrats on the new job, as if you didn't have enough balls in the air!

cheers, dee

Hmmm is that a sexist remark Dee or is Dan a pilot too?..:rolleyes:

Dan Hintz
09-13-2012, 7:55 PM
I have the ball, Bill :-p

Chuck, I have a "plan" to deal with the 3D files... been putting it off for a while, but I'm thinking it might be a service my customers would want in and of itself...

Glen Monaghan
09-14-2012, 4:36 PM
Dan, which 3D printer did you order? Curious minds want to know...

-Glen

Bill Cunningham
09-15-2012, 9:20 PM
I waiting for the one that mounts in the wall. Then, all I have to say is:
"Tea..Earl Grey...Hot.."