PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 4212 deluxe dovetail jig

Pierre Laliberte
09-08-2012, 8:19 PM
I recently bought a Porter cable dovetail jig at a garage sale but I can't get the darn thing to work properly! I read the manual over and over and made all sorts of adjustments (increase depth, decrease the depth etc..) but the pins always seem too "fat" to fit in the tails properly. The only way I can get them to fit properly is to file off some material from the inside of the pins... Has anyone experienced a similar problem and found a solution?

Bruce Wrenn
09-08-2012, 8:43 PM
I recently bought a Porter cable dovetail jig at a garage sale but I can't get the darn thing to work properly! I read the manual over and over and made all sorts of adjustments (increase depth, decrease the depth etc..) but the pins always seem too "fat" to fit in the tails properly. The only way I can get them to fit properly is to file off some material from the inside of the pins... Has anyone experienced a similar problem and found a solution?Look on page 18 of your manual, last sentence above pictures at bottom of page. Seems that the template needs to be shifted away from you.

Mike Hollingsworth
09-08-2012, 9:11 PM
YouTube is your friend.
Demos on everything you could think of.

Michael W. Clark
09-08-2012, 9:48 PM
There is a Woodsmith Shop program on this jig as well. I also have the same jig. It comes with a special dovetail bit. Not sure if it matters though.