PDA

View Full Version : Pepper Mill and a couple of bowls

wes murphy
09-08-2012, 7:42 PM
Pepper mill made from Texas Mesquite. Finished with Mylands Friction Polish and Ren Wax. Present for my brother in south Texas.

Bowl from from Spalated Hard Maple. Wood was very punky and I consider myself lucky just to get it smooth. Finished with WTF.

Another bowl from Spalted Hackberry. Very nice to turn. Finished with WTF.

I'm not really happy with the finish on either bowl. I've tried putting on a heavy coat of WTF and then leveling it with 1200 sandpaper and then more light coats.. Then I tried a light coat and knocked that back with 0000 wool. Then several more light coats but neither way yields an acceptable finish. Do I need to level the coat before the next on all coats.That WTF is some fickle stuff. C and C are welcomed.

Donny Lawson
09-08-2012, 9:30 PM
I think the bowls look great. I love the spalted wood. It's my favorite wood. I need to make me a pepper mill. Looks good.

Bernie Weishapl
09-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Wow the wood and bowls are great. Nice peppermill.

Kathy Marshall
09-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Nice job on all Wes!
The WTF can take some practice until you find the technique that works best for you. I use a little makeup sponge to apply thin coats. It dries very fast here in AZ so it's best to just wipe it on in one swipe and it's dry to the touch in a minute or two. I usually apply 3-4 thin coats then sand or steel wool before moving on.

Marc Himes
09-09-2012, 9:41 AM
I have not used WTF yet, so I don't have any suggestions about it other than make sure you have an excellent finish no matter what it takes. It makes a huge difference in the piece and is not easy to get. The pieces themselves look very nice. I like the form of the pepper mill and the bowls. You have some excellent spalting going on in the bowls; they are really exciting.