PDA

View Full Version : Axe Repair

Jim Stewart
09-08-2012, 4:46 PM
I bought a Norland, Northwoods type axe on Ebay. It has a 25" Hickory handle. I have sharpened the axe, or at least have a good start on it. When I tested it the head became slightly loose on the handle as I was chopping. The handle seems in fairly good shape. It has a wooden wedge. I have not soaked the head in water yet, but I wondered how you go about adding a new wedge. I know that you can get metal wedges and maybe I can make a wooden wedge. I know you could just drive a metal wedge in. Is there a way to add a wood wedge with the head on? Do I try to get the head off an add a larger wooden wedge? I am afraid if i soak it, it won't be fixed, but then I won't be able to get the handle off without destroying it.

Niels Cosman
09-08-2012, 6:08 PM
Don't soak in water! That's a temporary fix that will eventually loosen the head even more.
If the axe doesn't have a metal wedge you can probably just split up the wooden wedge and pry out the little bits. Once the old wedge is out the head should come off easily and you can reuse the haft. Just get a new wooden wedge and drive it home. I have been leaving my replacement wedges proud to make for easy tightening and removal.
I am not a big fan the metal wedges, they can be a bugger to remove without mangling the handle

phil harold
09-08-2012, 6:46 PM
+1 on Niels' comment about new wedge
soak it in linseed oil, not water

Jim Matthews
09-08-2012, 7:07 PM
My experience has been that an additional wedge cannot make up much ground, if the top has shrunk.

It's less time to fit a new handle than attempt adding wedges.
A properly fit handle is quite tight, on it's own.

Ryan Baker
09-08-2012, 7:33 PM
Definitely don't soak it. That will just make it looser once it dries again. Getting the current wedge out will be a serious pain, and not worth the trouble unless there is some special reason to save this handle. Drive in some metal wedges and get on with life. Or break out the drills and chisels and cut the old wedge out.

Joe Fabbri
09-08-2012, 8:08 PM
If the wedge wasn't glued in, it might be possible to drill a screw or two into the wedge itself, and try to pull the wedge with the claw of a hammer. I've done that with dowels. It might not work with a wedge, but it's worth a try, especially if you were going to cut it out anyway.

Jim Stewart
09-08-2012, 8:40 PM
Thanks, to all. I got a tip from another source that said to drill some 1/8" holes and fill them with a product called, "Chair-Loc". This material is supposed to swell the wood fibers and make the head tight. I believe I will try that solution followed by getting a new handle if the first mentioned fails.

george wilson
09-08-2012, 8:53 PM
Wedges are best. Chair loc isn't as strong under those conditions as good wedges.

Niels Cosman
09-08-2012, 9:29 PM
Removing an old wedge is pretty straightforward. I've done it with a sharpened screwdriver :) I split the wedge into littler pieces and then with needle nose pliers pull the little slivers out. You could also drill out a section to make room for pliers or vice grips
Unless the handle is in really rough shape, then it's sawing time.

Jim Stewart
09-09-2012, 5:41 AM
OK, Plan "B" No Chair-Loc. I will sharpen a screwdriver and remove the wedge. What about wedges. Can I make my own out of Hickory?

Roger Bell
09-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Mickey mousing around with it is likely a losing proposition. You can try to R&R the wedge but to remove the old handle and replace it is a sure, permanent fix. Take your time and do it right.

This should give you a real good idea of what's involved. Don't worry, you are a woodworker, you can "handle" it.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/recreational_trails/publications/fs_publications/99232823/

This publication used to available in a VHS format as well.

Bill White
09-09-2012, 12:04 PM
I have that same axe. Norlund is some good stuff.
Good luck.
Bill

Jim Matthews
09-09-2012, 7:51 PM
I split the wedge into littler pieces and then with needle nose pliers pull the little slivers out.

That's clever, right there.

Jim Matthews
09-09-2012, 7:53 PM
I would not make the wedge out of the same material.

I don't know what my store-bought wedges are made from,
but they're softer than the hickory handle itself.

I put mine in with a little white glue - it acts as a lubricant for assembly.
The mechanics of the joint hold things in place.

Niels Cosman
09-09-2012, 8:35 PM
I was told that poplar makes for good wedges in axes and hammers. that's what I use and i've been happy with it.

Jason Roehl
09-09-2012, 9:18 PM
Rats. I opened this thread hoping for a healthy George Washington's Axe/Ship of Theseus debate... ;)

Paul Saffold
09-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Roger, thanks for the link. Lots of info there.
Paul

Jim Stewart
09-10-2012, 4:08 PM
Thanks Roger, That is a great link. I have learned much from starting the thread.