PDA

View Full Version : Techniques to join natural stone to wood in furniture and wood art

Ed Scott
09-08-2012, 2:35 PM
I plan on trying to make some mixed wood/stone benches and backyard art from wood slabs I've cut and stone on my property. I would appreciate either how-to suggestions or referral to sites or resources with information on mating stone to wood. I've got a few ideas to try out but don't know if there are other techniques of which I am not aware.

I have seen a few pictures of benches, tables and wood sculpture/art combining natural irregularly shaped stone and wood. In the benches and tables the stone, which are usually a leg/base, appears to be a through-mortise coming out the top of the bench seat or tabletop. In the wood sculptures there are through connections and joining between the stone and wood where they appear to wrap around each other or melt (for lack of a better word) together.

- For the through-mortising, is this an actual mortise or has the stone been cut and the top piece just mounted on top to appear to pass through?

- If a through-mortise one way could be carving/shaping a mortise to fit the natural stone surface (tenon), which would be slow and challenge to get clean edges. Another way could be to cut the stone with my TS saw, shape a standard type tenon on each end and fit into a standard mortise but that only works if the bottom and top of the wood are flat to mate to the stone cut. Hand carving is the only option I can think of if either wood surface is irregular. Any other suggestions?

- For the wrapping or melting effect any suggestions other than hand carving to mate the wood and stone? If hand carving is the way to do it any tips on how to mate irregularly shaped pieces?

Fyi, besides hand tools I have a mix of wood shaping tools (grinder, Arbor-tech, hand planer, belt sander, chain saws) in my shop and like the time savings when a mechanical tool can be used in the process. Appreciate the advice.

Mel Fulks
09-08-2012, 5:36 PM
If they don't have to be moveable you might want to look up"turf topped seats" .They have been made of wood and stone,and combinations. Often were planted with insect repelling things like pennyroyal with some flowers in and around.Jefferson wrote out spec for his garden listing turf tops or "sitting stones". Used for hundreds of years in many places. Seen photos of simple and elaborate examples in Europe and at least a hundred drawings and woodcuts.