PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating Used Jointer

Jay Knoll
04-13-2005, 2:05 PM
Hi Everyone

I've got a lead on a used Powermatic 8" jointer circa 1995. He wants $900 and is going to "throw in" a mobile base. 220v single phase, which isn't a problem I put a 220 circuit in my garage a few years ago. It is right in the town where I live, not an inconsequential point given the cost of shipping. I'm going to look at it tomorrow afternoon. The guy said it was his "personal" home shop equipment, he used to have a professional cabinet shop as well. So he says there are relatively few hours on the machine. He thinks less than 10 hours of use. It has been stored in an air conditioned storage locker (althought if I buy it it will be going into my non-air conditioned FL garage). I know this really doesn't qualify as "old iron" but did Powermatics of that era have a good or a bad reputation for quality.

So, besides the obvious rust dings dents etc, how would you check the thing out? I've got a 12" starret square, a 6" engineer's square and a Stabilia level -- no other long straight edge.

Thanks in advance for your advice and any thoughts on the price.

Jay

David Fried
04-14-2005, 7:50 AM
Other than trying to check for table flatness and fence squareness, I'd say turn all the knobs, make sure everything moves smoothly but the proof is in the pudding - try running some boards through it! Good Hunting!!!

Mark Singer
04-14-2005, 9:18 AM
Jay,

Start it and see what it sounds like. That might be a USA made machine. See if the fence moves nicely and the tables move up and down. Try running wood through it.....hear and see what it feels like. Most things can be adjusted...If you had a longer square , youcould check the tables for co planeryou can try it with the level...although it is not very accurate. Check the knives fot nicks....they may need to be sharpened.

Richard Wolf
04-14-2005, 5:44 PM
I think the biggest concern with jointers, besides some of the obivious things to check, would be to make sure the fence is not warpped. This is a situation which I once had on an old carftsman which is very difficult to fix and renders the jointer almost useless.

Richard

Jay Knoll
04-14-2005, 7:49 PM
Thanks for the information everyone.

Well, as always, things aren't as they were presented. The machine is 10 years old and has seen some action. It is American made. Paint on base was chipped, etc

The table has a ton of wax on it to prevent rust. I scraped it away with a credit card, the fence is square with the table just back of the blades (and every where else as well. I put the level on the fence, it was with no light going through.

Couldn't turn it on, there wasn't 220 volts in the storage locker.

The infeed table moved freely, when I asked the guy to show me how the outfeed table moved he had a lot of problems,. Turns out he needed to release the gib set secrews

Anyway, once he did that he was able to move the table. But in so doing, he got it down so far that he couldn't move it up. He ended up braking off the head of the gib setscrew. When he was trying to fix it, he picked up the outfeed bed, rocked the jointer over to the infeed bed was supporting it, and pushed the outfeed bed back up the incline. I didn't think one was supposed to move jointers by the beds.

So, he's got to get that fixed, I talked him down to $600, but I"m having doubts.

Assuming that he'll be able to get a replacement set screw for the gib (or is it gibb?) locks, do you think that there has been any damage caused by him horsing the thing around by the beds?

Should I just wait and save my money for a DJ20?

As always, thanks so much for the support!

Jay

Mark Singer
04-14-2005, 8:10 PM
Get a nice new one....then you know what you haveand a warranty....just one repair and you saved zero!

Richard Wolf
04-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Well $600 makes it a lot more attractive, only you can decide. I know "they" say not to lift a jointer by the tables, but please explain how it can be moved any other way without a fork lift?

Richard

Jay Knoll
04-15-2005, 5:48 PM
Thanks everyone

I've decided to "pull the plug" and not buy the beast. I asked the guy if he would help me set it up (considering that he jacked the outfeed table all around) and he resisted so that tells me that the after sale warranty/customer service will be sorely lacking.

Jay

Jim Barrett
04-15-2005, 9:17 PM
Good decision....