PDA

View Full Version : Bone head move raises blood pressure....Joe Woodworker press works well...news a 11..

Peter Quinn
09-08-2012, 1:22 PM
I built a Joe wood worker venturi press some time ago, tired of clamping veneers old school. Got the 7CFM venturi model, built it, tested it, holds vacuum well, pulls down a large bag quick. Haven't used it much due to procrastination, resistance to new techniques, busy schedule, yada yada yada, I have more excuses than most. So in the interest of getting this thing into regular use I'm making a simple fixed shelf for a bookcase using hard maple sawn veneer on MDF core. Slice the veneers, no problem there, that I'm actually set up for that, very predictable results. Splice the veneer, cut to width, etc.....WOW, I'm actually going to do this....make bottom platen.....find the end closure I lost two years ago, next to the second end closure I lost one year ago.....wow, I have two closures....I can make this 10' long bag shorter, only a 36" shelf after all...it may get lonely in that big bag......probably would be done by now using old school press, but this is a growth exercise as much as anything, must stay committed to process..........ok, dry run goes great......glue it up, quickly, quickly, using titebond III, quickly........put shelf in bag, breather mesh.......vacuum on and........what the, the veneer splice shifted like tectonic plates.....release vacuum, fix problem......flip vacuum lever on......Houston we have no vacuum.......press just hissing, only making 18hg....10hg....0Hg......need 29+......where is that air coming from....where is that air escaping from.....turn off press.....unscrew top in virtual panic....veneer curling now.......turn press back on to find leak.....no leaks, venturi is blown.... that Joe wood worker, I'll get him for this, barely used this thing 3 times, industrial my butt,.......%^&&****( bleeping ()*&*&^^%%.......what a minute, the venturi has to exhaust air to make vacuum, thats normal air flow...........Uh, did I turn that compressor on, or off when I flipped the switch?......check compressor gauge.......15PSI and falling......venuri requires 70+psi.....utter loud Homer Simpson style "Doubbbbt".......turn compressor which is now at 10 PSI to "ON".....venturi IMMEDIATELY starts making vacuum, press pulls down, veneer joined permanently to MDF....blood pressure returns to normal....will know results of debacle in 3 hours.

So as it turns out, when using a venuri vacuum press, you must turn on BOTH the press AND the compressor. Pretty sure I read that several years ago when I built this thing. I'm going now to print out a label for the top of the press that reads "Remember to turn on and charge compressor BEFORE applying any glue. The 80 gal compressor was apparently large enough and charged enough to pull down the bag twice, but three strikes and I was out of air. Don't you love wood working!!!

John Coloccia
09-08-2012, 1:23 PM
I'm still hoping to try out your press, Peter. I just got off on other projects. Glad you're working out the kinks, though :)

Dustin Leonard
09-08-2012, 1:25 PM
How do you put something on here to sell? thanks, dustin

John Coloccia
09-08-2012, 1:28 PM
How do you put something on here to sell? thanks, dustin

First you pay a couple of bucks to be a contributor. Then you'll have access to the classified section, plus a couple of other sections.

Peter Quinn
09-08-2012, 1:29 PM
I'm still hoping to try out your press, Peter. I just got off on other projects. Glad you're working out the kinks, though :)

The offer is still open when you are ready, Sounds like great fun. Sure glad this happened on a paint grade maple shelf and not one of your guitars!. It sure is cool watching the press squish the whole thing together.

Myk Rian
09-08-2012, 1:38 PM
...will know results of debacle in 3 hours.
Please do... :)

Peter Quinn
09-08-2012, 4:00 PM
Survey says..........Perfectt! The veneer laid down beautifully in spite of my mistakes. I'm sold. I jus have o remember to turn it on.:rolleyes:

Jeff Duncan
09-10-2012, 2:07 PM
I'd bet a six pack you'll be using that press all the time now:D I bought mine several years back now and it's used all the time....cant figure out how the heck I got anything done without it;) I used it last week and I'll be using it again either today or tomorrow morning.

One warning though.....your going to want more bags! Having 1 oversized bag sounds good at the beginning, but it becomes quickly apparent that having several "commonly used" bags is just so much more efficient!

good luck,
JeffD