PDA

View Full Version : LDAP - Just what, is it?

Myk Rian
09-08-2012, 12:37 PM
LDAP, Lightweight Directory Access Protocol, is an Internet protocol that email and other programs use to look up information from a server.
http://www.gracion.com/server/whatldap.html
Developed at UofM.

Is this like a cloud info/e-mail used in Corporations?

My Samsung GS3 can add an account for LDAP.
Just wonderin.

Art Mulder
09-08-2012, 1:06 PM
It's a directory, Myk. Like a phone book for computers. However, since it is a database, they hang other stuff off of it also. So a lot of big places (like the university where I work) use it for a central password/management thing. (They're big on trying to use single-sign-on.)

All your Samsung is saying is that if your email provider uses LDAP for it's password/account info, then your Samsung knows how to talk to it.

Matt Meiser
09-08-2012, 2:08 PM
If you used web applications at your previous employer that used the single sign on system, that used LDAP behind the scenes. I developed some applications for them and we could grap a bunch of information about the user from the directory including full name, department, etc.

Myk Rian
09-08-2012, 7:58 PM
Thanks for the explanations.

Jim Becker
09-12-2012, 10:04 PM
LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) is a standard for directory access based on the old x.500 directory specification from long ago. It was developed at the University of Michigan. LDAP, for example, allows non-Microsoft applications access Microsoft's Active Directory database in a standard way.