PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor

Greg Just
09-08-2012, 9:57 AM
I'm in the market for a new compressor. It has to be 120v as that's all that is available. I use a small Grex 2 inch sander a lot, so it is an air hog. Space in my shop is limited (who's isn't) and upright would be nice. My 20+ year old Craftsman has served me well, but it is pretty well worn out. Oil vs. oil-less does not matter. I might like the oil version for the reduction in noise. Is it better to get a bigger tank or one that has a higher PSI rating? Thanks for your suggestions.

Bill White
09-08-2012, 11:21 AM
It is not tank size as much as the cfm capabilities of the compressor. An air sander requires a BUNCH of air volume as you stated so you will need a high volume compressor. Of course, a small tank will make the comp. cycle a lot. Look at the air requirements for the sander. That'll tell ya how much compressor you'll need.
An oil free comp. will make ya deaf when used with the sander 'cause it'll be runnin' all the time unless it is a monster.
Bill

Greg Just
09-08-2012, 11:26 AM
According to the Grex specs, at an operating pressure of 90 PSI; 15,000 rpm; air consumption is rated at 2.2 SCFM. My old compressor runs all the time and I'd like to avoid that in the future.

Paul Murphy
09-08-2012, 11:30 AM
On 120V you max out at a real 2hp. Lots of advertising hype claiming more hp, but look at the amps, and anything that draws ~16A @ 120V will really deliver 2hp. I like the durability of oil lubricated cast iron, and with a sander you need all the storage tank you can fit and then hope the pump can refil the tank before you start sanding again. This BelAire unit has a cast iron pump, which helps durability. Very similar units by other mfgs, so shop around for the unit you like best.
BelAire 5026VP 2-HP 26-Gallon (Belt Drive) Dual-Voltage Cast-Iron Air Compressor $599
http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/ir/products/5026VP.asp?cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIChxYShprICFQKf7QodrVYACw (http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/ir/products/5026VP.asp?cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIChxYShprICFQKf7QodrVYACw)

Here's one with a larger tank:
BelAire 2061V 2 Hp, 60 Gallon, 115/230v 1 Phase, Vertical Single Stage Electric
http://www.maxtool.com/product/search.asp?mdb=\tools.mdb,tbl=IC_ITEMS,template=/Belaire-4.htm,DBCOMP=ABS,ReturnMax=1,DB_ITEM=2061V

Stephen Cherry
09-08-2012, 11:47 AM
On 120V you max out at a real 2hp. Lots of advertising hype claiming more hp, but look at the amps, and anything that draws ~16A @ 120V will really deliver 2hp. I like the durability of oil lubricated cast iron, and with a sander you need all the storage tank you can fit and then hope the pump can refil the tank before you start sanding again. This BelAire unit has a cast iron pump, which helps durability. Very similar units by other mfgs, so shop around for the unit you like best.
BelAire 5026VP 2-HP 26-Gallon (Belt Drive) Dual-Voltage Cast-Iron Air Compressor $599
http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/ir/products/5026VP.asp?cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIChxYShprICFQKf7QodrVYACw (http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/ir/products/5026VP.asp?cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIChxYShprICFQKf7QodrVYACw)

That's a nice looking compressor. Another alternative, if you ever want to travel with your compressor, would be a wheelbarrow compressor , and to recycle your craftsman tank for added capacity.

Carroll Courtney
09-08-2012, 12:53 PM
I would think that w/your restraints of voltage/power and space that a big tank is out so portable is in(small footprint).I think that compressors that deliver 175psi is a selling point of bigger is better,not in your case unless your changing tires on an 18 wheeler.I also don't understand air sander vs elec. sanders but thats another post so maybe switching over to elec for sanding.So for me I like the Dewalt twin tank(4-5cfms) or like the other poster wheelbarrow type, oil type which helps alittle w/ noise.-----Carroll

Greg Portland
09-08-2012, 1:25 PM
I'f take a close look at the IR GarageMate line of compressors... they are rated for continuous duty and come with a lot of nice features. It also comes on wheels for portability.

Jim Neeley
09-08-2012, 5:00 PM
When sizing a compressor to supply a "continuous run" tool, there are a couple of considerations... on a *good* day..

* The air compressor manufacturers do everything they legitimately can to justify the largest possible claim on capacity. This means ideal conditions.

* The air tool manufacturers do everything they legitimately can to justify the smallest possible claim on air consumption. For a sander, this is affected by the supply pressure, sander speed (both due to air control and force on sander). If the sander is "variable speed" then the speed is controlled by reducing the air flow to the sander (which lowers the consumption). Some tool manufacturers also state their consumption as an "average value" based on some allowance for things such as replacing sanding disks.

This is not simply hokey manufacturers here.. I have a (then new) 60 gallon Ingersoll-Rand (I-R) compressor rated at 17.3 cfm @ 175 psig and a 6" I-R sander rated at 14.3 cfm of consumption. One time I decided to test this under extended run so sanded for about 90 minutes continuously, with absolute minimum stoppage time for disk swap. I had everything set up so I could monitor my tank pressure as I worked. In my test the compressor ran continuously, with the compressor slowly losing ground to the sander. When I say slowly, I'm only talking 1-minute catch-up pause about every 20 minutes. I consider that a success for me since I needed to shake the numbness out of my hands but if someone truly was expecting, based on the numbers, for the compressor to lead the sander, they'd be disappointed. My findings seem to be typical.

What does that mean? It means you need to buy a compressor with more "capacity" than the tool "requires". With my I-R, my ~20% oversize was *just* enough for me, not enough for some.

For sanding you definitely want a continuous duty motor and a like-rated compressor. Lesser rated units will overheat and burn up over time. Also, heat is the enemy of moving parts and compressors run hot anyway. If you are over-cautious like me, you may want to point your box fan at the compressor head when you are going to be performing extended periods of sanding. Even if it will "be OK", letting it run a little cooler won't hurt.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2012, 5:49 PM
When my Borg compressor goes.....I will be looking at IR and Eaton for a replacement.......and the most important specification? CFM.....IMHO.

Greg Just
09-08-2012, 5:54 PM
The IR GarageMate looks like a possibility. The cheapest price is a Northern Tool. They also have their brand Northstar and Puma that look nearly identical but $110 less.

John Coloccia
09-08-2012, 7:28 PM
I use one of these:

http://www.acetoolonline.com/DeWalt-D55168-200-PSI-Portable-Air-Compressor-p/dew-d55168.htm?utm_content=DewaltD55168200Psi15GallonP ortableWorkshopAirCompressor&gclid=CMj_9diPp7ICFcRM4AodwDoAAw&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=DewaltD55168200Psi15GallonPortableWorksho pAirCompressor&utm_campaign=googlebase&site=google_base

It performs admirably and it's not quite as annoying as other oiless compressors. I had a nice 5hp, 60gal compressor at one point, but the tank rusted out after being in storage for a while. Anyway, I DO miss that compressor, but for a 120V compressor I think the Dewalt is really worth a look. I don't run air sanders on it, but I do run die grinders, and they suck an awful lot of air too. I don't believe that 2.2 cfm number for one instant, not even free running, but I think the 2" Grex is an awful lot like a die grinder and I think you'd be OK. Home Depot has a good return policy at least, if it really doesn't work out. I really do like mine, but if I move into a bigger shop I'll have a nice, big compressor again.

Luther Oswalt
09-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Here is a site, TP Tools, that has a lot good info on Air Systems. IMHO, I would not get a oiless compressor except maybe some of the small "nailer" setups. All my small compressors have oil and I expect them to last a long time. When selecting an air compressor don't limit yourself to the largest comsumer of air in your shop at the moment but look to the future for what you think yours needs will be. You can boil the selection down to 2 very important things: CFM and Storage. While these are not all to to consider in your decision they have to rank at the top! With out the cfm your compressor cannot replenish the air in the storage tank fast enough thus caing you to slow down on the work you are doing. With out the stoage capacity the compressor must run more often, which could effect it's life.
I hope this as helped you.
Leo

Kevin Presutti
09-09-2012, 12:00 PM
If you have 120V it would seem that a little wire, box, and a breaker would get you 220V providing there's room in the service panel. That certianly would open up your opportunities and capabilities to get a compessor that will serve you well. Remember you need a compressor that is capable or producing a reasonably larger amount of air than your air tools requires or it will run non-stop! Hope you find what you need.

Greg Just
09-09-2012, 6:24 PM
If you have 120V it would seem that a little wire, box, and a breaker would get you 220V providing there's room in the service panel. That certianly would open up your opportunities and capabilities to get a compessor that will serve you well. Remember you need a compressor that is capable or producing a reasonably larger amount of air than your air tools requires or it will run non-stop! Hope you find what you need.

Unfortunately my service panel is in the finished part of my basement and it would be very expensive and messy to add a 220v circuit. I should have planned better.

Jim Neeley
09-09-2012, 6:47 PM
+1 on CFM and storage.

The storage will help you for a short-duration load (usually seconds, like an impact wrench) but for longer loads (sanding, etc.) it's all CFM, CFM, CFM as the tank isn't large enough to make a significant difference. Yes, I talked about my sander and 20 minutes but that's only because the sander only uses a tiny bit more than the compressor generates.

If you plan to stop the sander every minute or so and then wait a minute or so for the compressor to catch up, it'd be an exception... and an unusual use of a sander, IMO. <g>

Sid Matheny
09-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Just in case you want to look at some used compressors, there were several recalls a few days ago.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12269.html

Sid

Larry Edgerton
09-10-2012, 7:48 AM
I have never heard anyone say.... "My compressor is too big."

I'm just saying......

The 110 is your limiting factor. Its hard to make a compressor that will run air tools well run on 110.

Larry

David Hostetler
09-10-2012, 10:02 AM
I don't think you are going to be able to find a compressor with the capacity enough to run pneumatic sanders all that well and run on 110V. Air sanders are terrible air hogs...