PDA

View Full Version : Great Wood Gloat

Donny Lawson
09-07-2012, 9:54 PM
I found this today and could not pass it up. It was throwed out by the road waiting to be picked up and turned into mulch. The owner said it was "Chinese Cherry" and I was welcome to it. The grain pattern in it is awesome. I hope to get it cut up and sealed tomorrow before it checks too bad. Looks like some great turnings.

Richard Madden
09-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Get the ends cut back and the pith cut out and sealed ASAP. Looks like some primo wood!!

Kathy Marshall
09-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Nice haul Donny! Looks like some great wood with some interesting grain!

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Great gloat. The is some really nice looking wood Donny. Nice grain.

Steve Schlumpf
09-08-2012, 7:31 AM
Congrats!! That is some beautiful stuff! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Greg Just
09-08-2012, 8:30 AM
Free wood is always a good thing. Happy turnings

John Waver
09-08-2012, 8:41 AM
Dang, how big are those logs? How'd you get them on/off the trailer, roll them? Nice gloat!

charlie knighton
09-08-2012, 10:21 AM
its going to be pretty, enjoy

Jeremy Leasure
09-08-2012, 5:11 PM
That does look neat. You should post some of the roughouts, I'm interested in what it looks like in bowl/whatever form.

Donny Lawson
09-08-2012, 9:26 PM
Dang, how big are those logs? How'd you get them on/off the trailer, roll them? Nice gloat!

John, they are over 3ft long each and very heavy. I had a friend help me tug and roll them onto the trailer. It's been rainning alot today so the cutting will have to wait untill tomorrow. I will post more pics then.

Thomas Canfield
09-08-2012, 9:40 PM
That looks similar to what I was told was Cherry Laurel. The CL was only about 8 to 10" D but had a lot of problem with checking from the pith and a lot of splitting. I would encourage you to do the prep work ASAP. Cut a generous pith slab out after you cut back the ends to get out of the checks. The pith in the pith slabs should then be removed to provide you some excellent "quarter sawn" material for either end grain use, spindle work, pens, etc depending on size. You got some excellent potential there.