PDA

View Full Version : A few Super Newbie questions

Declan Halpin
09-07-2012, 8:44 PM
Hello all -

I just purchased a 30W CO2 laser (LMI 225CV). We are an eyeglass company and we will be engraving our logo etc. on the inside of the frames. This is our first laser, so we have some REALLY basic questions:

1: Regarding the "CO2" designation, where does the CO2 get involved? Is it sealed in the laser tube? or should we supply CO2 somehow? How can we diagnose the health of the laser? In other words, how will we know when it needs to be recharged?
2: Regarding marking metal - I have read that you should NOT hit metal with the laser, as it will reflect up into the machine and damage it. However I've also read that you can mark metal no problem. What's the verdict?

I will have a lot more questions I'm sure!

dh

Duane Parcells
09-07-2012, 9:02 PM
Hi Declan and welcome to the Creek

The CO2 is the gas your particular laser uses to produce the laser beam that does all the work. It is a (tube) integral part of your machine and is not something you supply. Once you get to know your laser you will know when it is getting weaker and needs to have the CO2 recharged.
The lasers we use for engraving and cutting excel at marking metal. Some metals you will be using a coating (Cermark or similar product) prior to the laser. Some metals laser fine with out it. It sounds like you are on the beginning of the learning curve. Learn how to use the search function for this forum and you should be able to find a answer to most of your questions. You can always ask, lots of great people here to show the way.

Duane

Mike Null
09-08-2012, 9:40 AM
You will not be able to mark bare metal with your CO2 laser. (some can mark ss but it's not efficient) The metal will have to have a coating such as anodized aluminum, lacquered brass, steel or aluminum or Cermark as previously suggested.