PDA

View Full Version : Veritas PMV11 - End grain dream come true!

James Taglienti
09-07-2012, 5:01 PM
I have fought with all of the common contemporary steels when it came to planing end grain. I want the most acute bevel possible yet still be able to make more than a few passes without obliterating my cutter. This is because I am usually too lazy or in the zone to set up backers or sacrificial support pieces. With an angle 25* or lower, it seems usually there isnt enough resistance to splinter the workpiece.

I ordered a PMV11 cutter with a big grain of salt, hopefully dreaming about 22* bevels in my LA block. It delivered!I did a quick trial with an A2 cryo cutter, a Veritas O1, and the new steel. I grabbed a piece of red oak, which seems to have some of the toughest endgrain in my shop. The O1 cutter at 26* began breaking down after the first pass, leaving more and more tracks in the endgrain. The A2 at 28* started tracking after about 20 passes, but the resistance was serious; i had this cutter set up for long grain.The PM at 22* was awesome! It was almost as easy as planing long grain, not even a hint of blowout on the exit, and I basically got bored and quit after 50 passes. The end of the board was still smooth and shiny with no detail whatsoever. The cutter still had more life in it, and it still had that smooth sharpness that will bite you if you're not careful. Outstanding!

Downside: this was already revealed but it is a little slower to sharpen. I thought just a little slower than the A2 on waterstones. It got very keen, it felt like even more than O1. On oilstones the PM is not much fun though I did get it keen on some India, washita, and arkansas. The bad part of oilstones is the grit isnt very consistent so I wound up with some deeper scratches that I had no hope of cleaning off with a translucent. It would have taken days. Not a big deal with O1 though. A2 seems much faster on the oilstones.Just a quick tryout as I was pretty excited to get it so soon. Its awesome steel and in my shop it has the potential to replace every other contemporary steel.

Kevin Grady
09-07-2012, 5:44 PM
Thanks for the info James. Off to spend $$$ :)

bob blakeborough
09-07-2012, 5:48 PM
I am grabbing the 38 degree for my BU Smoother this weekend... I have high hopes as well!

Jim Koepke
09-07-2012, 6:15 PM
Guess it is time to start saving up to buy some new blades.

jtk

Tim Put
09-07-2012, 6:46 PM
Makes me want two: a plane iron for my LAJ for shooting, and a 1" chisel for paring.

jason thigpen
09-07-2012, 7:09 PM
I've been wanting to get the toothed blade for my LV bevel up jack. Right now, it's only available in A2. If they release it with the new steel, I'll buy it right away!

george wilson
09-07-2012, 8:08 PM
I seriously predict that eventually diamond single crystal coated blades will become available. They even predict that in the future we will have sheets of diamond covering our houses as they get better at growing them.

May not be tough enough to hold an edge on wood,though.

Jack Curtis
09-07-2012, 8:57 PM
George, what would be the purpose of diamond coated houses? Focus sun beams? Reflect them? Hang tough? :)

John Coloccia
09-07-2012, 9:01 PM
George, what would be the purpose of diamond coated houses? Focus sun beams? Reflect them? Hang tough? :)

I'm thinking they would make for fantastic roofing and siding, much the same way ceramic coatings are being used as paint and in high temperature/abrasion applications.

James Taglienti
09-07-2012, 9:26 PM
I seriously predict that eventually diamond single crystal coated blades will become available. They even predict that in the future we will have sheets of diamond covering our houses as they get better at growing them.

May not be tough enough to hold an edge on wood,though.

I wouldnt mind a sheet of diamond on the sole of a plane!

Tim Put
09-07-2012, 9:26 PM
Halfway there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon
One can buy endmills coated in the above.

george wilson
09-08-2012, 9:26 AM
I suppose diamond would be indestructible,but I'd wonder if it wouldn't crack easily from impact,or the base materials shrinking or expanding. Don't know,just read it somewhere. I think diamond would be good in surgery,perhaps,IF it wouldn't chip off.

BY THE WAY,I bought 3 ceramic knives from Woodcraft. You have to make your own handles. The solid white ceramic one is fine,being sharp enough to actually shave hairs when new. Stayed sharp several months for $25.00

The other 2 were black, ceramic coated very,very thinly over a stainless core. Very soon,the ceramic began to flake off. I noticed a friend's similar knife had completely flaked off the ceramic edge for 1/4" from the cutting edge. I think these knives are VERY dangerous,and do not want to ingest real sharp ceramic flakes that got into the food. Such knives should not be allowed on the market. I hope no one buys them. The ceramic simply does not bond well to the steel.

David Keller NC
09-08-2012, 9:48 AM
George - You're 100% correct - the two knives you noted should definitely not be on the market. A person could very, very easily wind up with a perforated intestine from ingesting such a flake, and that's about as dangerous as a ruptured appendix - i.e., get medical treatment (surgery) within about 6 hours or be "carried by six" very shortly thereafter.

If you choose, you can report something like this to the Consumer Product Safety Commission: https://www.saferproducts.gov/CPSRMSPublic/Incidents/ReportIncident.aspx

James Taglienti
09-08-2012, 10:00 AM
George - You're 100% correct - the two knives you noted should definitely not be on the market. A person could very, very easily wind up with a perforated intestine from ingesting such a flake, and that's about as dangerous as a ruptured appendix - i.e., get medical treatment (surgery) within about 6 hours or be "carried by six" very shortly thereafter.

If you choose, you can report something like this to the Consumer Product Safety Commission:
https://www.saferproducts.gov/CPSRMSPublic/Incidents/ReportIncident.aspx

It makes me wonder how some people can get world records for eating lightbulbs, etc. i watched a television program about a man who was halfway through eating an airplane.

george wilson
09-08-2012, 10:29 AM
I would hope intelligent beings would aspire to higher goals,but the operative word here is intelligent.:)

bob blakeborough
09-08-2012, 11:49 AM
BUMP for such an awesome sidetrack! LOL! :)

Jack Curtis
09-08-2012, 1:31 PM
It makes me wonder how some people can get world records for eating lightbulbs, etc. i watched a television program about a man who was halfway through eating an airplane.

Because it can take quite a while for a shard to migrate to an organ.

Dale Cruea
09-08-2012, 1:33 PM
Just ordered a 25* for my jack plane.
I have so Hard Maple that is tearing up my A-2 iron.

jamie shard
09-09-2012, 7:20 AM
Dale, sounds like a perfect testing scenario, be sure to report back!