PDA

View Full Version : Beeswax for finish on lathe projects

Ed Lang
04-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Does anyone use beeswax for their finish on turned projects?

Where do you get the beeswax?

How do you apply and buff it?

John Miliunas
04-13-2005, 1:21 PM
Ed, I've used beeswax for a number of my turned items. I like the look of it...Not overpowering shiny. Yeah, you apply it by just rubbing the piece of wax directly on the item while it's spinning and then hit it with your cloth. Put a fair amount of pressure on it and it starts to melt in, kind of like friction polish. Once you have decent coverage, switch to a soft, clean cloth and buff it out. I usually end up doing this two or three times. Not positive where to get it, as LOML gave me a couple hunks eons ago. I'll try to remember and ask her where she got it.:) :cool:

Carole Valentine
04-13-2005, 3:25 PM
Does anyone use beeswax for their finish on turned projects?

Where do you get the beeswax?

How do you apply and buff it?
Ed,
You can get it at most any woodworking store, craft store, apiary supply, honey farm, etc.

John Shuk
04-13-2005, 4:43 PM
I use it and like it alot. I also like the smell it gives off when you melt it. I get it at AC. Moore. the craft store.

Andy London
04-13-2005, 5:13 PM
You can buy it at Lee Valley. I use it on the inside of numerous crafts however I don't care for it on turnings as it's not a very durable finish and goes flat fairly flat.

There is another turner at the market I attend on Saturdays that only uses Bees wax for a finish, his work is very good but the finish is dull and he doesn't sell very much because of it.

Andy

Blake McCully
04-13-2005, 8:09 PM
Richard Raffan uses a mixtue of peanut oil and beeswax. When he puts the finish on, it looks spectacular. But I suspect as Andy says that it won't hold up. Of course, most of the items he uses it on are for use in the kitchen. A high gloss isn't necessary there. To replenish it, the owner merely has to rub an edible oil into it again.

Just my $0.02.

Kurt Aebi
04-15-2005, 10:56 AM
I use it all the time and it works well, a nice satin sheen and really good smelling. I get mine from my dad, who is a beekeeper - so I don't know where to get if commercially.

Dennis Peacock
04-15-2005, 11:07 AM
I use it and love it. Crank up the speed on the lathe, apply the wax and then take a rag and rub the wax in while the piece is still crankin' on the lathe. Build up the heat so it will melt the wax and then you can "flow" the wax over the entire piece. Turn off the lathe, let the wood cool...then lightly buff with a clean cloth and Voia-La.....it's all purddy!!!!

Get your beeswax from a local bee farmer. I buy it all the time at $1 for a 2 pound block. PM me you snail mail address and I'll send you some beeswax for FREE!!!! :eek: :D

Tom Morton
04-20-2005, 8:12 AM
Indeed I do. I disolve the beeswax in gum turpentine to a runny peanut consistency. Apply with a cloth to the piece on the lathe. Wait to dry and apply a second coat. I have used a soft rag to buff as well as brown paper grocery bags. This results in a low luster "in the wood" shine and does not discolor the wood. Gum Turpentine is made from trees, as a result the wood will absorb the turpentine carrying the disolved beeswax with it.
Got the first batch from a drug store, second batch from an on line source that has disappeared into the mess.
HTH

Kurt Aebi
04-20-2005, 2:45 PM
Tom,

Check some of those gift shops and things around the Manchester - Bennington area and look for the local honey. Get teh guy's name and contact him about some. Us woodworkers usually require so little that they often will just give ya a brick or at least charge very little. Another thought is to trade a piece of woodworking for it.