PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Vega Lathe Duplicator? I have some questions...

Kenny Jacobson
09-07-2012, 12:27 PM
I searched through the forum and I see the topic comes up every so often, but thought I'd bring it up again.

Here are my questions for those who own or have used one:

1) The Vega site claims you can remove around 0.75" of stock per pass. How accurate is that in your experience?

2) I will need to go from 8" at one section of the spindle down to 1.25", so that's a 6.75" inch travel. Will the Vega D-36 or D-48 do that?

3) It says to use plexiglass for the template, can you use mdf too? or does it have to be plexiglass?

4) I have Jet 1642, will it mount nicely on the back so I can hand turn on the front?

5) The longest spindle I'll have to make is 32". Will the D-36 be sufficient? (I realize the mathematically speaking, 32" inches is less then 36" so it should work, but just because a tool it 36" inches long, it doesn't always mean you can always take advantage of the whole length :)) Would the D-48 even work on a Jet 1642?

6) Is it better/faster to rough your square stock down to a cylinder with a roughing gouge before using the duplicator?

7) How is sturdy is it really? The site claims it "extremely rigid". Some reviews on amazon claim it vibrates a LOT and that the screws come loose. One of the many who do like it, makes the point that he does have to tighten the screws for every hour of service.

To the "duplicators are evil" crowd. I get it. Turning by hand IS more fun, I know. And I realize a master turner can beat a duplicator on time and finish. But for this particular project, I may need to bring in some low-skilled labor to help me out (as in, some of the older teenagers from church), and I'd like for someone else to do the "boring" part while I come in at the end and do the finish work. You know?

Kenny Jacobson
09-07-2012, 7:18 PM
I spoke with Randall at Vega and here are the answers I got just in case anyone else was wondering.

2) I will need to go from 8" at one section of the spindle down to 1.25", so that's a 6.75" inch travel. Will the Vega D-36 or D-48 do that?
It has a max depth of cut of around 3". So that means you can go from around 7" diameter to about 1" (remember that you are effectively cutting both sides of the wood on a lathe, that's why you multiply it by "2"). If your pattern has an overall taper, you can set up the duplicator so that it is not parallel to the ways of the lathe and thereby effectively pick up a little more depth of cut.

3) It says to use plexiglass for the template, can you use mdf too? or does it have to be plexiglass?
NO MDF. Too soft. The metal pin will mess it up on the first go.

4) I have Jet 1642, will it mount nicely on the back so I can hand turn on the front?
It does not mount too nicely to the back of the Jet 16" or 14" models because of the headstock.

5) The longest spindle I'll have to make is 32". Will the D-36 be sufficient? (I realize that mathematically speaking, 32" inches is less then 36" so it should work, but just because a tool it 36" inches long, it doesn't always mean you can always take advantage of the whole length :)) Would the D-48 even work on a Jet 1642?
It will definitely cut the full 36".

6) Is it better/faster to rough your square stock down to a cylinder with a roughing gouge before using the duplicator?
With a 2 HP you can expect about .5" per pass on square stock, with the 1.5 HP lathe (which I have) it will be less. Cutting it to an octagon will definitely help.

7) How is sturdy is it really? The site claims it "extremely rigid". Some reviews on amazon claim it vibrates a LOT and that the screws come loose. One of the many who do like it, makes the point that he does have to tighten the screws for every hour of service.
You will probably need to check/tighten 2-4 screws every couple of hours. Think of how many times you go to the grinder to sharpen your tools, though. It's just something you get accustomed to.

Other notes: the carbide diamond-shape cutter will give you a very, very nice surface. The cutter insert will last about 40-60 hours. It does not degrade over time, it will cut, cut, cut and then not cut at all. That's when you replace it. Replacement inserts are $30.

Bob Falk
12-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Kenny,
Thanks for the information. I am also looking at the Vega duplicator......how's it working now that you have worked with it awhile? Cheers, bob