PDA

View Full Version : Street price of used cabinet saws?

Steve Rozmiarek
09-07-2012, 8:33 AM
Need some info please...

I'm in the market for a second tablesaw to use as a temporary jobsite saw to finish out the new wood shop, then use as a backup to the slider after I fully move in. Thinking about buying a nice used Unisaw, or PM66 or something to serve the purpose and be a better post move in tool to have around.

I've been out of the loop for a couple years though, and I have no idea what the street price is these days, what are they selling for?

Thanks,

Steve

Rod Sheridan
09-07-2012, 8:36 AM
Very nice to see you back Steve.

I see saws in Canada ranging from about $1,200 to $2,000 depending upon condition.............Rod.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-07-2012, 8:44 AM
Hi Rod! It's good to be back, see lots of new names, and a few familiar ones, glad you are one of those! Thanks for the number too.

David Kumm
09-07-2012, 9:07 AM
The price is about the same for Delta-Rockwell 12-14 and PM 72 if you have the room. Used saws are really low right now so even the older iron saws are in that range. Dave

Steve Rozmiarek
09-07-2012, 9:16 AM
That's why I asked actually David. Thought about one of those little Bosch saws, but if good used cabinet saws are cheap right now, why not just go that way for not a lot more money. Guarantee the cabinet saw will be more useful after I move in.

Jeff Duncan
09-07-2012, 9:39 AM
Really depends a lot on your neighborhood also. Around my way you can pretty easily get a 3 ph Unisaw with a Beis fence for $500. A Powermatic 66 is still less common and still commands a higher price, but even those I've seen going for less than $900. Single phase saws generally go for more money as they have a much wider target audience.

good luck,
JeffD

Jamie Buxton
09-07-2012, 10:24 AM
A single-phase Unisaw with some age on it runs $800-$1200 around here. Nearly new ones can be above $1500, but really the Unisaw has been the same saw for decades.

Bryan Slimp
09-07-2012, 12:20 PM
On the Eastern side of the state I don't see a lot of cab saws pop up on craigslist. Prices can run 1 to 2 grand for rusty stuff. Are you close enough to Denver to trailer something home? There seems to be some better deals there.

Ole Anderson
09-07-2012, 12:44 PM
For $1300 you can get a brand new Grizzly 3 hp cabinet saw. IMHO, a fine saw. And it will come with a purpose built riving knife, you are not likely to see that important feature on a used saw. Won't fit the bill if you are looking for old iron. Any of them will be a bit of overkill for a jobsite saw though. I would go with something more portable even if you just intend to use it to build your shop. You never know when you might wish you had one to drag to your buddy's (or kid's) house for a project.

Rick Potter
09-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Here in SoCal, prices seem to have gone up in the last year or so. I just checked CL and Unisaws go from $400 for a decent older 1 1/2 HP with a Jet Lock fence, to $1500 for a couple later models that look like new. Powermatic 66's are higher, with an older green one for $800, and gold ones for a few hundred more than Unisaws.

About a year and a half ago, I picked up a very nice left tilt Unisaw for $6 or $700 (can't remember) with 50" Beis.

Rick Potter

David Kumm
09-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Have you seen the tricked out PM66 here on classified? Dave

Steve Rozmiarek
09-08-2012, 8:59 AM
Thanks guys. I saw one listed on a local auction, might see if it goes for a good price. Craigslist or something else if it doesn't.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-08-2012, 9:46 PM
Just one last update, in my area a nice used Unisaw with the unifence, on really good mobile base, 5 blades, and a pile of jigs goes at auction for $750. It's in my trailer now, so I guess this issue is now settled.

Carl Beckett
09-10-2012, 8:42 AM
Just this morning, a 1.5hp single phase Unisaw on Craigslist for $650 (unfortunately near Boston - but sharing a calibration point)

Myk Rian
09-10-2012, 7:04 PM
I'm surprised a Uni or P-matic is considered a job-site saw.
Just sayin.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Just sayin.

Lol!, well, it is quite a job site. Its my new wood shop, so now that we finished shingles this weekend, windows hopefully arrive soon, then the "job site" saw can move in and begin cutting acres of tongue and groove for the cathedral ceilings, trim, and parts for a front door. As soon as the dust settles a bit, the non job site Felder can take up residence. Hoping around Christmas... 2012 if I'm lucky...

Myk Rian
09-11-2012, 8:02 AM
And I can take the train out, meet you in Omaha, and bring the old job site saw home with me. :D
I'll pay you for it, of course.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-11-2012, 9:03 AM
Exactly! Actually because the unisaw is more valuable imho for future work and or trade than the little Bosch, it is the reason for the decision.

Rod Sheridan
09-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Just sayin.

Have you seen photographs of the size of farm machinery Steve has? He probably has a fork lift too, the show-off........LOL

So of course a Unisaw is a job site saw for him, he has a Felder combo as his main saw............Rod.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-13-2012, 9:35 AM
Rod, you my be on to something, my sense of scale may be a bit skewed. Wide open spaces and all the heavy iron around may have effected me...

Of course there is a forklift here, need something to move the jobsite saw with!