PDA

View Full Version : The end of my brothers racing career.

Larry Edgerton
09-07-2012, 8:15 AM
At Crandon Wisconsin Off Road Races Sunday of Labor Day weekend my brother Jerry had the crash everyone hopes they never have. Had to be cut out of the truck, airlifted to Aspirus Hospital in Wausau Wis.

Suffered a broken foot, broken ribs, punctured lung that deflated, and a broken back. Had surgury to fix the back, 8 screws and three rods, two vertebre fused together. Lungs are good, foot is fixed and the back will be fine. In a body cast for a while, but he came through it very well considering.

He raced for about fifteen years, won a world championship, and was going for his second Sunday when a truck slid in front of him at over 100 mph and sent him airborn. He had just recieved a huge raise from Monster Energy, his sponsor, for next years season the day before, but it will not be in the cards. His career is over. He planned on racing just two more years to pay off his house.

There are a couple of Utube videos on the net from different angles, but I do not have the links. I saw them at the hospital, but do not like watching them. Its my brother. I am proud of his accomplishments, but relieved that it is over at the same time.

That is where I have been for the last week, but he is OK now and its back to work for me.

Larry

Belinda Barfield
09-07-2012, 8:23 AM
Wow Larry. Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad to hear that your brother will heal. Hopefully he will be able to do something to remain in the racing sport, like mentoring younger drivers maybe. I would think it would be hard to give up that life completely. I hope he heals fully and quickly.

Rick Potter
09-07-2012, 12:14 PM
What a shame about the career, but I'm sure glad he is going to be OK, Larry.

I wish him the best,

Rick Potter

Bruce Page
09-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Larry, I'm glad your brother will be alright. I don't blame you for not wanting to view the videos, it sounds like a wicked accident.

John Fabre
09-07-2012, 2:09 PM
Larry, sorry to hear about your brother, hope he recovers fully and quickly. I watch automotive races all the time and hate to see anyone get hurt.

Jason Roehl
09-07-2012, 6:53 PM
Praying for his continued recovery. Sounds like he has a good support system, too.

mickey cassiba
09-07-2012, 9:45 PM
I really hate to hear that...darn shame. Our prayers go out to y'all.

Shawn Pixley
09-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Thats horrible that he was hurt. We wish a speedy recovery.

Rich Engelhardt
09-08-2012, 8:18 AM
I'm glad he's going to be ok.

I hope he recovers from the loss of the job as well.
A close friend of mine lived to play baseball.
He signed a pro contract with the Cleveland Indians & the very first day of Spring training he blew out his shoulder,,,ending all hope of a pro career.
He seemed to take it in stride, but, you could tell by the way he talks about it it bothered him his whole life.

Larry Edgerton
09-09-2012, 7:34 AM
Rich, I think he is maybe a little relieved. Off Road racing is a tough gig. I broke my own back in a practice accident in a race buggy. Its just a hard sport at the level that Jerry was playing. He is 50, so it was a good time to say goodbye.

He arrived home yesterday. He has a clamshell sort of body cast, makes him look like a turtle. He can take it off to take a shower and to sleep, so I may have to get the air brush out and paint it so he looks like a middle aged mutant turtle. He would do the same for me....

Thanks, Larry

Mike Cutler
09-09-2012, 7:55 AM
Larry

Sorry to hear about your brother. racing's a tough sport. I hope he heals up just fine.
I am glad though that you'll get to be able to call him "crash" for many years yet.;)

Larry Edgerton
09-09-2012, 8:41 AM
Here is a link that shows it from the other guys incar. Jerry is in the black truck.

http://www.michiganwheelers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=251231

Rich Engelhardt
09-09-2012, 8:55 AM
He arrived home yesterday. He has a clamshell sort of body cast, makes him look like a turtle. He can take it off to take a shower and to sleep, so I may have to get the air brush out and paint it so he looks like a middle aged mutant turtle. He would do the same for me....LOL! That's just too funny! :D

Mike Cruz
09-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Larry, it looks like the guy that slid in front of your brother had the pit manuver placed on him. He was going along just fine then WHAM. He was almost going straight! Sorry to hear about your brother's accident, but glad he's okay.

Jeff Monson
09-10-2012, 6:10 PM
Nasty! Glad he's ok Larry, tough to see a family member go through a crash like that.