PDA

View Full Version : Time for my SWAT Gloat!

Scott Hackler
09-06-2012, 9:06 PM
So besides the 4 shopping bags full of wood from Mike Smith, a new Foredom tool, some new Thompson steels, and misc other stuff I bought in Waco.... I did get a couple other things.

This first picture is of the giant Yellow Mallee burl cap that Jim Adkins won and after he got home....sent it to me! Appearantly the guilt of that new lathe he won was toooooo much so he shared in the wealth and gifted me this awesome burl cap. You can see the tape measure showing how darn big it is. Thanks Jimbo!

The second photo is my prize for the winning ticket in the pot for an Alan Trout original! Alan graceously donated this piece for the turning raffle. I kept telling him that I was going to win it and so, with $60 in blue raffle tickets I placed $40 dollars worth in Alan's pot and $20 worth in the Arrowmont school pot. I didn't win the school scholarship, but you would have thought I won the Powerball from the excitement when they drew my ticket! Alan and I busted out laughing and he walked over from the table he was sitting to congratulate me. I have been a giant fan of Alan's work and am so pleased to own a piece of his work for my small but growing collection. Everyone I show it too is awestruck at this piece.

Nanny nanny boo boo!

Harry Robinette
09-06-2012, 9:20 PM
OK, That is a gloat Scott. Aren't this symposiums a great time even though we all spend every dime we have saved.

Kathy Marshall
09-06-2012, 9:29 PM
Great gloat all around Scott! Sounds like you had a great time and came home with enough to keep you busy for awhile!

Baxter Smith
09-06-2012, 9:32 PM
Quite a haul though Alans piece takes the cake!

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2012, 9:42 PM
Great haul Scott.

Tim Rinehart
09-06-2012, 9:49 PM
Scott, all I can think to say is..."poor Jim, all he got was a lathe!"
Very nice of Jim to gift you that burl, and I can aappreciate your excitement winning the piece from Alan.

Scott Hackler
09-06-2012, 10:06 PM
....now to talk Alan out of this little red hued cup he had in the instant gallery! Boy was it nice!

Yep, I had a fantastic time in Waco. Between the great demos, great food, vendors everywhere and the reunion of the south going turning friends.....well what else could you ask for? I spent a ton of time with Keller and Adkins at the Century Woods booth...which wasn't such a great idea since I bought a bunch of wood blanks!. But hanging out with Mike Smith and Terry Cerros was fun. I also got extended chat time with a bunch of other turning friends.

One really fun thing was going to dinner at the mexican resturant with Kelvin Burton and his wife, Robina. I learned all about New Zealand (him) and Scotland(her). I can't help myself around foriegn born folks and learning about their culture. Very neat.

I can't wait until next year.

Alan Trout
09-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Scott,

I was very happy that you won my piece. My pieces really mean a lot to me and having someone that I know and like and I know appreciates it makes it a very worthwhile donation.

Pretty sweet gloat on the burl. I can't wait to see what comes of it. Your work that I saw at the symposium was fantastic and I am sure the piece you make from this will be just as spectacular.

Here is the pic I took of the piece. They are very hard to get a good image because of the gloss.

Alan

Bob Bergstrom
09-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Some day Alan's pieces may be worth more than the lathe Jim won. You both have some really great gloats. I would put Alan's piece in a very safe place. You have something special there from a special artisan.

John Fabre
09-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Some day Alan's pieces may be worth more than the lathe Jim won. You both have some really great gloats. I would put Alan's piece in a very safe place. You have something special there from a special artisan.
I thought the lathes were a huge gloat, Alan's piece is priceless.

Any pictures from SWAT?

Richard Madden
09-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Congrats, Scott. Be sure and show us pics of the burl cap when you decide what to do with it. For me, that's the hard part... trying to decide what to make of it. And that Alan Trout piece...I love it! Someday I'd like to learn more about his process for producing such neat stuff!!

Kelvin Burton
09-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Scott, we also enjoyed the Mexican night with you and Yolanda! :D I think that was our highlight of the weekend. I too will be very interested to see what you make from that burl.

Any pictures from SWAT?

John, they should make it onto the SWAT web site soon (http://www.swaturners.org/) but they're not there yet.

Michelle Rich
09-07-2012, 5:50 AM
Alan's piece is a total wonderment. What a gloat! I have admired his pieces for eons, but to have one in one's own collection must be nirvana

Steve Schlumpf
09-07-2012, 7:41 AM
Scott - congrats on the gifted wood from Jim and on your winning ticket for Alan's hollow form! Very cool gloat! Happy to hear that everyone had fun! Would love to make it to one of the SWAT symposiums someday! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of the burl!

Roger Chandler
09-07-2012, 8:04 AM
very nice Scott..........beautiful piece from Alan and that mallee burl is a special gift.......both are truly gloat worthy. Jim must be a class act to do that for you...............great friends can be made in this turners community......thanks for sharing your good fortune with us!

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-07-2012, 9:33 AM
Scott,
I doubt there was any guilt in Jim's gift to you but you already know that. I am sure it was just sharing the wealth with a friend. The Alan Trout piece is amazing as is all his work. I'm sure you will enjoy it for many years. Congratulations on your good fortune and your positive attitude in buying the tickets in the first place.