PDA

View Full Version : sticky question

Zahid Naqvi
04-13-2005, 12:05 PM
What would be a good adhesive for wood against brass where lateral force will be applied. I made a prototype of a wooden shoulder plane and put a 1/4" brass plate on the sole. For the prototype I used counter sunk brass screws, but I don't like the look of it. Besides I am sure the screws will gather wood dust and could eventually hinder the smooth flow of the plane.

Steven Wilson
04-13-2005, 12:09 PM
for adhesive you might try a longer curing epoxy (stronger than the 5min stuff). If you don't like the look of screws you could try brass rod to anchor the plate into the wood and then peen the end of the rod to secure it into your counter sunk hole.

Steve Cox
04-13-2005, 2:28 PM
I like the idea of a peened brass rod. I would also second the opinion of marine epoxy (not the 5 min stuff).

Jay Knoll
04-13-2005, 3:34 PM
I needed to glue some plastic track to plywood, expoy didn't hold but gorillia glue did the trick. the label says it bonds metal. I'd do a wash down with acetone to make sure I'd gotten any residual oil off the metal before assemblying.

Good luck

Jay

Zahid Naqvi
04-13-2005, 6:16 PM
for adhesive you might try a longer curing epoxy (stronger than the 5min stuff). If you don't like the look of screws you could try brass rod to anchor the plate into the wood and then peen the end of the rod to secure it into your counter sunk hole.

Should I be concerned about the brass rod getting loose in the hole I will insert it in. Peening one end will secure the plate side but how about the piece that goes in the wood, do I glue it or leave it as snug as possible without cracking the wood. For a plane sole there probably isn't much vertical pulling force so it seems like a safe option.

Todd Keesal
04-13-2005, 7:06 PM
What about soldering brass rod to the plate, drilling holes into the wood, and securing with epoxy. It should solder up fine with either a soldering iron or propane torch, and if its ugly its hidden anyway. Countersink the holes to allow for the solder.