PDA

View Full Version : Pics of the new work space

Matthew N. Masail
09-06-2012, 4:00 PM
As promised, it's still not organized but not too bad. I also added a few pics of my favorite tool storage/racks and one of my almost finished, made with regular hardware store stuff, wagon vice.
I just need to find a suitable wheel/bearing to connect at the bottom to prevent it from lifting under pressure. The bench is bieng upgraded from a plain top plywood top to a real bench, I'm really excited about it (-:

240658 240659240660 240661 240662

240663 240664 240657

Jim Matthews
09-06-2012, 5:42 PM
It's much too neat.

And brightly lit.
There's nothing to trip over, just inside the door.

It's an unorthodox approach, but I suppose you could work there, if you had too.

Matthew N. Masail
09-07-2012, 3:45 AM
lol ok ok .... thanks ! I probebly am more tidy than I need to be, but I cannot stand a lot of mess.

Chris Griggs
09-07-2012, 6:17 AM
Congrats on the new shop space. I wish my new shop was half as well lit and 1/4 as organized as yours.

Your current bench looks quite nice, but you will definitly enjoy having a solid wood top on your new bench.

Adam Cruea
09-07-2012, 6:48 AM
Looks great, and the vice is pretty cool!

Matthew N. Masail
09-07-2012, 6:54 AM
Thanks Chris! I work hard on getting these details right, but it's not that hard to pop up a bunch of mdf shelves. For the lighting I just popped in a strong fluorescent, but I want to get a standing 350-500watt halogen lamp – very strong and no shadows!

What you see is my new bench! It was a plain top Plywood, I decided to upgrade it so I glued a cover of solid wood to it, made an extension for a wagon vise and I'll cut out to depth for a tool try where I made a frame around the ply, you can see in the pic.
the dog hole line has a strip of solid beech glued to the bottom.

Matthew N. Masail
09-07-2012, 6:55 AM
Looks great, and the vice is pretty cool!

Yeah and it works great, who said you need a fancy vise screw? (I couldn't afford one)
it also allows me to clamp like a shoulder vise.

Chris Griggs
09-07-2012, 7:23 AM
What you see is my new bench! It was a plain top Plywood, I decided to upgrade it so I glued a cover of solid wood to it, made an extension for a wagon vise and I'll cut out to depth for a tool try where I made a frame around the ply, you can see in the pic.
the dog hole line has a strip of solid beech glued to the bottom.

Ohhh okay, the makes much more sense. I was looking at the picture thinking "this guy has a great bench" and wondering why you were going to replace it. I didn't think that looked like plywood, but I just figured I couldn't tell from the pic. BTW, I second the compliments on the vise. I'm glad it works so well. I once attempted a wagon vise using a veneer press screw, but mine worked terribly - I did a crappy job with the track it moves in.

george wilson
09-07-2012, 7:58 AM
You have a pretty nice work space,Matthew. Good work on the bench. Be careful those MDF shelves don't sag under weight eventually. MDF isn't as strong about that as wood. I used some MDF at my old location,but I didn't load them too heavily.

Matthew N. Masail
09-07-2012, 8:20 AM
Thanks Chris! I went the easy way for the vise. I built the track around the block and the block has no side tracks, instead it will have wheel bearing that goes along the bottom of the table. a quick testing of the idea works fine but
I think some kind of bearing will reduce the friction. the plan for the final one is to have threaded rods threaded and epoxies into the wagon block, with nylock nuts to adjust the block hight.