PDA

View Full Version : Practical Difference, 10V vs. 15V

Richard Jones
09-06-2012, 2:04 PM
Is there one, as it refers to a bowl gouge?

Thanks.

Rich

Harry Robinette
09-06-2012, 9:39 PM
15V stays sharper about another 1/3 the time of 10V. Steel is quite a bit harder,it's more brittle but sharpens about the same( I use Norton SG wheels) .
Just my $.02

John Keeton
09-06-2012, 10:08 PM
There are always trade offs with steel - toughness vs. wear resistance. Here are a couple of resources to help you make some decisions, but much of it depends on the characteristics of the material you are turning.

Dale Miner
09-06-2012, 10:50 PM
There are always trade offs with steel - toughness vs. wear resistance. Here are a couple of resources to help you make some decisions, but much of it depends on the characteristics of the material you are turning.

John,

Thanks for the links.

Richard Jones
09-07-2012, 8:18 AM
Thanks, I've seen the composition charts, etc., was just wondering about actual results.

Harry, is the 15V harder to shear scrape with because of the brittleness?

Thanks.

Rich

Pat Scott
09-07-2012, 9:10 AM
Everyone says 15V is suppose to stay sharp longer but I'm having a hard time noticing that. The next time I'll buy 10V and save some money. Maybe its just a perception, but I like the way my 10V cuts better than my 15V. Maybe because 10V is softer and you can get a sharper edge on it? I use my 10V for shear scraping.

Reed Gray
09-07-2012, 12:41 PM
I asked Doug Thompson about it some months ago, and if he thought it was really worth it. He said he would carry it because some people seem to want it, but didn't think it was really worth the extra money.

When the topic of 'which steel can get the sharpest' comes up, people who forgot more about metal than I will ever learn seem to agree that you can get just about any metals to the same sharpness. The main difference is that it is easier/less work to do with some metals than others.

robo hippy

Richard Jones
09-09-2012, 9:05 AM
Thanks to all, sounds like I'll try out some different steel types. The 15V sounds like it above my curve.........

Rich