PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on full wine bottle

Ernie Martinez
09-06-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm considering engraving private label wine bottles, but I'm concerned about screwing up and having the bottle break in the machine. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks

Ernie

Martin Boekers
09-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Do you have a rotary device? We do bottle all the time, shouldn't be any issues.

Steve Busey
09-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Go buy a test bottle of Two Buck Chuck and give it a try - I can't imagine the wine would heat up so much as to cause explosive pressure, but it's your laser, so your call...

Lee DeRaud
09-06-2012, 11:34 AM
...I can't imagine the wine would heat up so much as to cause explosive pressure...If anything, I'd expect a full bottle to work better than an empty one, as the liquid inside will act as a heat sink and keep the glass cool.

Calvin thompson
09-06-2012, 12:26 PM
I was thinking about this will the heat or the laser afect the tast or any of that? i dont drink it so i dont know enough to even gess. i also would think that the liquid inside will help

Tim Bateson
09-06-2012, 12:33 PM
There isn't enough heat generated to effect the wine (when done properly). I do Wine, Champagne and recently Whiskey - all full. If it's the glass that makes you nervous, go to your Hardware store and get a cheap - thin pane of glass, or for the rotary, go to the Dollar store or TJ Max and buy some cheap glasses. Practice on these and you'll quickly find your comfort zone. Except for the real expensive bottles and crystal, I rarely use dish soap any more - just place the object and laser..

Lucy Lee
09-06-2012, 9:15 PM
Hi Ernie,
Yes,if with rotary device, you can do it ,don't worry ,See enclosed photo
Best Regards
Lucy Lee
G.WEIKE LASER

I'm considering engraving private label wine bottles, but I'm concerned about screwing up and having the bottle break in the machine. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks

Ernie

Frank Defert
09-06-2012, 10:22 PM
I have done it on a full bottle ( Two Buck Chuck lol ) with a rotary attatchment. Another thing for wine bottles is to do wooden labels. Laser engraved and cut .040 bb plywood with adhesive backing. All laser work done on the flat and then peel and stick.

Ernie Martinez
09-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Yes, I will have the rotary attachment. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for all the advice.

Bill Cunningham
09-08-2012, 8:40 PM
Done hundreds of them.. Never a problem, however some bottles do etch better than others. A little Rub n buff works well too

Joe Hillmann
09-11-2012, 2:38 PM
One thing to think about if you plan to engrave on wine bottles is, if you don't have a liquor license you can't sell the bottles. I send my customers who want an engraved bottle to a nearby liquor store to buy the bottle and bring it to me. I have an agreement with the liquor store that my customers get a bit of a discount and the lady at the liquor store knows what type of bottles engrave the best so she can help the customer pick one that will turn out nice. In that way I, the liquor store and the customer all benefit.

Tim Bateson
09-11-2012, 9:46 PM
One thing to think about if you plan to engrave on wine bottles is, if you don't have a liquor license you can't sell the bottles... This is a sticky wicket, but I've seen it done. Legal or not I can't say - They state you are buying the artwork on the bottle and any liquid inside is not for sale.

Joe Hillmann
09-12-2012, 12:58 PM
This is a sticky wicket, but I've seen it done. Legal or not I can't say - They state you are buying the artwork on the bottle and any liquid inside is not for sale.

That doesn't sound like a defense that would stand up in court. I even wonder if the way I do it is okay, especially if one person drops the bottle off and another picks it up.

Andrea Weissenseel
09-12-2012, 2:54 PM
As others said before, wine bottles are no problem to engrave when they are full (technically) champagne bottles should not be engraved though.