PDA

View Full Version : 80T ATB or 60T TCG for crosscutting plywood?

Randy Gillard
09-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Hi All,
I am looking at various types of blades for getting clean chip free cuts on the top and bottom in plywood. Seems there are two types of geometries out there, ATB and TCG. Which is better for getting good results on both sides of the cut?
Thanks

Prashun Patel
09-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Higher tooth count will give a smoother cut, but you risk burning on the edges; is that an issue for you?

Personally, I use a 50t combination blade for cross cutting. I think it has an ATB grind. IMHO, I get the cleanest crosscuts on ply by masking the cut and using a cross cutting sled - which acts as a zci.

Jack Gaskins
09-06-2012, 11:26 AM
I use masking tape over my cut line and it really keeps the bottom from splintering.

Michael W. Clark
09-06-2012, 11:47 AM
I have a Frued 80T ATB and it works very well. I do have a ZCI on the table saw and I use a cross-cut sled sometimes too when cross cutting if the pieces are too narrow to be stable on the rip fence.

I also have a Frued 60T ATB? in my circ saw and it does very well too. I usually use a zero clearance guid with it as well. Not just for cut quality, but because I am not skilled enough to free-hand a straight line for furniture quality cuts. I don't usually tape the cut line unless I am using a jig saw and need to prevent splintering on the bottom side.

Mike

scott spencer
09-06-2012, 12:44 PM
High tooth count, Hi-ATB grind is the cleanest cutting blade available. The steeper the top bevel angle, the better the slicing ability of the teeth. 60T to 80T is generally the happy medium. Infinity 010-080, Forrest Duraline, Freud LU80, CMT 210.080.10, Infinity 010-060, Forrest WWI ....all excellent examples.

Lee Schierer
09-06-2012, 1:54 PM
I use masking tape over my cut line and it really keeps the bottom from splintering.

+1 on the masking tape. It works well. If you use masking tape be sure that when you peel it off after the cut that you pull it toward the cut edge not away from it to avoid lifting splinters from the edge.

David Kumm
09-06-2012, 6:25 PM
The HI AT is the pick of the litter but it dulls fairly quickly so you only want to use it when needed and a WW2 or equivalent the rest of the time. Dave

Alan Bienlein
09-06-2012, 7:19 PM
I have two of the ridgid 10" 90t high atb and no tape on the bottom or zero clearance insert is required to crosscut plywood. Again as long as you use the proper blade you don't need to do all that extra stuff.

Jack Wilson50
09-06-2012, 7:27 PM
+1 for the Frued 80T ABT

John McClanahan
09-06-2012, 7:45 PM
I have a Ridgid 90 tooth blade too. Makes real clean cuts. The high tooth count blades cut slower, so don't be tempted force feed.

John

Roger Feeley
09-06-2012, 7:57 PM
I also have the HI-ATB and it's great. When I first put the blade in and saw those skinny little teeth, I realized that getting a blade into my TS is like a game of operation. I'm such a klutz, I knew that I would need to do something or I would chip the teeth. I made a little belt of deer skin leather and velcro that I wrap around the blade when I put it in or take it out of the saw. It protects me if I accidentally touch the teeth to the throat or any other obstacles . The deer skin is just stretchy enough to stay on the teeth.

Rod Sheridan
09-07-2012, 8:40 AM
Clean chip free cuts in plywood requires a High ATB blade and a zero clearance throat plate.

Note that the blade performance will degrade rapidly, that's why if you have that requirement you use a scoring saw. (I use an 80 tooth ATB blade with split scoring blade).

Otherwise buy a good HATB blade and expect to send it out for grinding often...........Regards, Rod.

Michael W. Clark
09-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Clean chip free cuts in plywood requires a High ATB blade and a zero clearance throat plate.

That is the setup I use. I haven't had to sharpen it yet (hobby use only) and I only use it for plywood. Extremely sharp and very good cuts.

Randy Gillard
09-08-2012, 10:10 AM
+1 on the masking tape. It works well. If you use masking tape be sure that when you peel it off after the cut that you pull it toward the cut edge not away from it to avoid lifting splinters from the edge.

Now that's a good tip. Thanks

fRED mCnEILL
09-08-2012, 12:08 PM
When I require a clean cut on both sides with plywood I first "score" the plywood by running it backwards with the blade raised just enough to cut the veneer.-probably about 1/64th. Then I raise the blade and do a normal cut. This, of course, is more time consuming but does a pefect splinter-free cut. And because the blade is only up a minute amount there is no danger of it grabbing the plywood.

Curt Harms
09-09-2012, 7:34 AM
When I require a clean cut on both sides with plywood I first "score" the plywood by running it backwards with the blade raised just enough to cut the veneer.-probably about 1/64th. Then I raise the blade and do a normal cut. This, of course, is more time consuming but does a pefect splinter-free cut. And because the blade is only up a minute amount there is no danger of it grabbing the plywood.

Yup. I've used the same technique with borg melamine. I made the same pass twice, one shallow scoring cut, once thru cut. I didn't even bother with feeding backwards. Taking such a shallow cut there's virtually no vertical blade movement to lift away from the sheet.

Kevin Presutti
09-09-2012, 11:44 AM
A question similar to this came up on somewhat this same topic http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?191434-Basic-table-saw-question, you may want to watch this video, it is by Forrestt but gives you good info on their particular blades http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SgdTXphEJ4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SgdTXphEJ4). I think what is most important here is to understand "All saw blades are not equal nor do the manufacturers make blades the same" that said, you need to see what others are saying and of course we all have our favorite or preferred balde manufacturer so you need to find out what they recommend or build for specific purposes. Hope this helps.

Joe Samorodin
09-09-2012, 8:29 PM
We use custom balanced blade from Dimar (Amana) 80 tooth designed for composite material. They are typically 20% to 30% more but you don't have to tape, pre cut, score
or any other method so it saves time.They are not triple chip but balanced so that when they spin its a complete different sound from your typical blade. Better grade of
carbide also.