PDA

View Full Version : Quality hex drill bits?

Gary Petrauskas
09-06-2012, 5:15 AM
While browsing the tool department at Lowe's last week I spotted what looked to be a nice little set of hex drill bits in a pretty blue plastic carrying case for 19.95. I like the convenience of using hex bits for construction projects outside the shop so I grabbed the set to replace my depleted supply. While working on a deck project the other day I got the chance to try out my new bits, chucked up a 3/16 bit to drill a pilot hole in a PT joist and started to drill, got about an inch into it then the bit simply snapped off. Mt first thought was, "another $20 well spent". Switched to an old regular shank bit and proceeded to drill about 70 pilot holes without any problem.
Note to self, "don't buy any more Kobalt drill bits at Lowe's".
Anybody use hex drill bits? Can you recommend a decent brand?

joe milana
09-06-2012, 7:22 AM
The purpose of those "made in china" drill bits is not to drill holes. It's to line the pockets of Lowes stockholders.

Richard Wagner
09-06-2012, 7:29 AM
Why is the retailer the one who gets the blame? Does the manufacturer have a part in this? How about the consumer? It was the consumer who was so attracted by that $19.95 price tag. Remember - you get no more than you pay for. Sometimes you get less.

Matt Day
09-06-2012, 7:59 AM
Back to the question at hand... when I need a quality tool and don't want to worry about the possibility of buying junk, I look to quality outfits like Lee Valley, McFeely's, etc. Have you looked at what they have to offer?

Kevin Presutti
09-06-2012, 8:25 AM
I would only add that trying to find any tooling that is made in the USA today is rather challenging. After all there is only one nail manufacturer in the US and he is in NC, trying very hard to keep his business going. EPA regulations have pretty much forced all trades that work with a wide range of tooling to succumb to the made in China lableling on almost any hand tools you buy as well as power tool tooling. I tried to find a manufacturer that made jointer knives in the USA, all I can tell you is good luck with that! As far as the stockholder of the retailer, well they want to see $$$. What most people don't get is that many of us are willing to pay a few dollars more for an item we need and will use if the quality is there. Between the government and stockholders it's no wonder everything is made overseas! They make crap but at least they are allowed to make it. It seems as though it is a sin to manufacture in this country, if you dare you are in for a battery of regulations and taxes.

Harry Hagan
09-06-2012, 8:56 AM
Kobalt is the “House Brand” of Lowe’s.

If Lowe’s isn’t setting the quality standards for their house branded products, they should be. There’s nothing wrong with a retailer offering a product at a competitive price, but it must perform the intended function or it’s not a good value. So the blame lies with the retailer for offering an inferior product and the consumer if they don’t return the product and request a full refund making it clear that quality does matter.

Mike Henderson
09-06-2012, 8:58 AM
I have a Ryobi set of hex drill bits that have been pretty good. The only time I've broken one is when I dropped the driver and the bit snapped off. I use them in my impact driver, rather then in my drill.

Mike

joe milana
09-06-2012, 9:42 AM
I've checked all the sources I know of & most don't offer 1/4" shank drill bits, but I did find one.

http://www.buydrillbits.com/products/hss/gp2.php?c=QUICKCHANGE-HSS-FRAC

Most of their stuff is high quality, but I'm bettin' these are cheapo's. Might give them a call & ask. They offer them up to 1/2"! I've tried those bits in the past & they snapped for me as well. Might be the nature of the beast. Those hex shanks don't "chuck" up all that accurate. Maybe it's the slop & wobble that causes the bit to snap.

John Coloccia
09-06-2012, 9:51 AM
Interesting story someone told me. A friend was at a factory in China and found out that only a handful of bits in that particular run where actually properly sharpened and hardened in the set. "Americans only use 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" ".

Anyhow, I think LeeValley carries some, and I generally trust them to not carry junk.

Matt Meiser
09-06-2012, 9:53 AM
The Snappy brand ones are good. And they use standard bits so when you break the small ones, go to a real tool supply house and buy 10 packs of those sizes in American-made replacements for much less $ than you would expect.

George Babij
09-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Hi, I am with Matt. I have the Snappy set, and if I break a bit (usually my fault) I can quickly replace it. Personally don't like the moulded one pce hex bits. Unless something has changed, Snappy is a US manufactured product. Just Google Snappy and you will find distributors.
Regards
George

John Coloccia
09-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Yes, I forgot about Snappy. Nice tools, wherever they're made (but Made in the USA is nice).

phil harold
09-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Ace sells snappy

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Snappy-Tools-s/9475.htm

Matt Meiser
09-06-2012, 10:48 AM
So does Woodcraft.

Greg R Bradley
09-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Snappy is OK, way better than the BORG junk.

If you actually want GOOD, use these:

http://wlfuller.com/html/hex_brads_and_rpd_s.html

Wiha makes great stubby bits:

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/search.php?search_query=hex+AND+drill+AND+bits+AND +Wiha&x=0&y=0

Gary Petrauskas
09-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Appreciate all who posted their thoughts and advice. I'm not a fan of hex bits either and only use them occasionally for projects not requiring accuracy, as one poster said, "they don't chuck up very well". I have not bought drill bits in years, my father, who was a tool and die maker, left me his stash of HSS bits (American made by the way). The only time I break one is when I do something stupid, back in the day they made things to last. I have hundreds of them and perhaps I should just stick with what I have, convenience be dammed! But maybe, just maybe I'll give the Snappy brand a try.
Thanks again to all for your input.

Gary Petrauskas
09-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Greg, the WL Fuller looks like what I'd really like to buy! It appears as though they can be removed from the hex for sharpening, that would be huge for me as I sharpen my own bits.

Greg R Bradley
09-06-2012, 1:01 PM
Gary,

The WL Fuller and Wiha are the same quality that I used to buy for a tool and die shop from the local industrial supplier. Only problem with the local industrial supplier is their target customer is working mostly with steel so that is what they stock.

Once you are used to a drill working properly, it is hard to use less. If you sharpen your own bits, that makes the good drills way cheaper than the cheap junk.

Julie Moriarty
09-06-2012, 2:03 PM
Remember - you get no more than you pay for. Sometimes you get less.

I bought a mid priced set of brad point bits that worked fine for years. One day I was at a local tool center that sells "EVERYTHING", and it's all quality brands. I saw a set of Bosch brad point bits. They looked precision made and I figured might eliminate the slight tearout I was getting from my existing bits. I paid about twice what the old set cost and proudly brought them home, anxious to see how a quality bit cuts holes. Was I ever disappointed! I immediately realized they didn't cut but rather dug out a hole. On through holes they broke out as if they had been forced through with a vise.

To the OP - I hope you took them back for a refund. There goes the bottom line!

I still have both sets and even though the mid-priced bits are old and worn, they still work better then the Bosch. So sometimes you do get more than what you paid for and you can certainly get a lot less too.

Jim Neeley
09-07-2012, 11:43 AM
If you want *good* brad point bits, made in the USA, Lee Valley sells them http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=42247&cat=1,180,42240.

I have a set and they cut like a hot knife in butter. Veritas starts with top quality American-made twist-drill bits (I've been told they are made by Fuller, but haven't seen it written) and cuts the brad points on their CNC milling machine in Canada. Yes, prices range from $3.50 for a 5/64" up to $49.90 for a 1" (a steel box of 28, 5/64" to 1/2", by 64ths is $179.00), but if you want quality cuts, get quality tools. Buy cheap sh*t, get sh*tty cuts. What is your time worth?

Carl Beckett
09-07-2012, 11:57 AM
I bought one of those large brad point sets with Ti N coating. $39 or so. Several of each size

They 'work' for some things. I'm not sure they have been hardened ...... Which pretty much tells the story

I have a couple B&D 'bullet' bit sets. Love them

Steve Friedman
09-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Rather than paying extra for hex drills, I bought the LV brad point drills and a bunch of their hex shank adapters. Cheap and work fine.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32285&cat=1,180,42334&ap=1

Steve

Gary Petrauskas
09-07-2012, 5:22 PM
Steve, that's a good find, I was looking at Lee Valley's web site and didn't notice these. I love their stuff in general and have bought quite a bit over the years. I just ordered the hex shank adapters, I have plenty of HSS bits and a means to sharpen them so this is really the best way to go for me.
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.