PDA

View Full Version : Standing Behind your product!

Mark Singer
04-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Today our kitchen /dining room is under re-construction. It has been about 41/2 years since I completed the home. The Kallwall sky roof which is about 700 sf is being completely replaced by the company at no charge. We have had many panels replaced during the 4 years do to delamination. It is basically a torsion box with a fiberglass skin on both sides and translucent insulation in the center....a large Oriole cookie if you will...:rolleyes: The replacement panels were also having problems and the color wasn't matching so Kalwall and Carmel, the local installation subcontractor stood behind the product 100%. The new panels are "thermally broken" No metal connects the inside to the outside so there is less thermal conductivity and better insulation. The old ones were attached to the aluminum grid and not well insulated.There is also a tighter grid for a more rigid panel.The light quality seems different...the 2 panels on the right of the photo are the new ones.. I have speced this product for 16 years now and have only had 2 such problems. This is an expensive warranty replacement...60K! and they are doing it at zero cost to me! The guys have been here so often I know their names...even a few of their kids names...:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
04-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Congrats, Mark. I remember discussing this with you when I visited. It's nice that you not only get a new installation, but that you also get an improved product!! "Good deal"!

Bill Lewis
04-13-2005, 12:32 PM
What's the "R" value on those panels. I don't think that's a product we'd ever see in the mid-atlantic region. They look cool though. Dumb question: Do they open? That'd be neat!

David Fried
04-13-2005, 1:14 PM
... and what is the snow load rating? :D

I kind of like the open look in the middle - can they rig it so you can have a convertable roof dining room? That would be too cool.

Mark Singer
04-13-2005, 1:19 PM
Bill the R value is in the 8 range....not bad for a skylight

Mark Singer
04-13-2005, 1:20 PM
It will handle the snow load....this winters rain load with wind was questionable:rolleyes:
... and what is the snow load rating? :D

I kind of like the open look in the middle - can they rig it so you can have a convertable roof dining room? That would be too cool.

John Miliunas
04-13-2005, 1:28 PM
That's outstanding, Mark! :) Not too many OEM's would go to such lengths. And, especially in your case, YOU are their bread and butter, so they best keep you happy!:D I can only imagine it's much easier to recommend a company like that to perspective clients, knowing that they will back their product. Enjoy your renewed light!:) :cool:

Mark Singer
04-18-2005, 3:15 PM
Skylight completed...actually they finished Thursday...today the painters are touching up...and thats it... I really like the new skylight! I sent a letter of thanks to Carmel...

Jim Becker
04-18-2005, 3:18 PM
They did a wonderful job and those new versions really look much better...mazel tov!

Mark Singer
04-18-2005, 3:55 PM
Jim,

I appreciate your ethnic words of Congradulations! Woodworkers,carpenters.and shmatta salesman.. have been using them for thousands of years....probably skylight mavens as well.

They did a wonderful job and those new versions really look much better...mazel tov!

Rob Blaustein
04-18-2005, 7:28 PM
Yes, it's nice when an "oy vey" situation turns out well, and I will echo Jim's and eveyone else's sentiments. And it's nice to see one of my favorite cake and cappuccino spots has just gotten even better...

Jim Becker
04-18-2005, 8:57 PM
And it's nice to see one of my favorite cake and cappuccino spots has just gotten even better...

Yea, I noticed that "place", too...and it was right before I upgraded my own machine and Mark's excellent setup pushed me over the edge on that purchase!

Mark Singer
04-18-2005, 9:05 PM
Jim,

I must have charged you for the Cappucino...."oiy" vat vas I tinking" did I at least gve you back change?...I love having SMCers ova the memories...I ask you...how can you put a price on dat?

Yea, I noticed that "place", too...and it was right before I upgraded my own machine and Mark's excellent setup pushed me over the edge on that purchase!

Jim Becker
04-18-2005, 9:14 PM
No, Mark, the price was "definitely right" for the movie and refreshments as well as the tour. And I felt right at home...you even have a bird in your kitchen like we do. (Well...we have two, but who's counting besides them...:p ) So...when are you coming here for a visit? ;)

Mark Singer
04-18-2005, 9:22 PM
Jim,

Vat can I say? Spring is here I hear little tweets in the trees ....it was a long vet vinta....I am vating...even put off my trip to Thighland...tings are blumin' I love to smell da roses...my nice friends are blumin too...here der and everywhere...I willl make it Jim...see you for sure and da Libermiesters..."Falling water" and Kentuck knob....I'm coming...right new I just stay where I was..and thank you my friend!;)

No, Mark, the price was "definitely right" for the movie and refreshments as well as the tour. And I felt right at home...you even have a bird in your kitchen like we do. (Well...we have two, but who's counting besides them...:p ) So...when are you coming here for a visit? ;)