PDA

View Full Version : Another winged lidded box/bowl

Kathy Marshall
09-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Last winter, Tom Winship and I did a little wood trade. One of the pieces he sent me was this little chunk of Texas Mesquite. It's been sitting every since, waiting for just the right project to show the color and grain.
I don't know if this is typical for texas mesquite, but the color and grain are very nice, almost burlish, and nothing like the mesquite I get locally.

After a little more shop cleaning last night, I decided to treat myself to some lathe time (a storm was moving nearby and it was actually pleasant and breezy in the shop with temps between 85-90 :D).
I took it to the bandsaw and took just a sliver from one side so that all the corners would be square. I probably should have made the blank a perfect square, but it turned out ok anyway.
I could have gone a little thinner, but if you look close you'll see a crack that runs across the entire piece, except for the outside bottom of the bowl part. I dribbled some thin CA in it before I turned the bottom, but I didn't want to push my luck and depend on the CA to hold it together. I needn't have worried since when I dribble the CA, quite a bit leaked out around the recess in the bowl and when I went to remove it from the chuck, it was glued to the chuck pretty securely :eek:. Luckily, I had applied some finish to the top before I chucked it, so I was able to remove it from the chuck without damaging the wood. Some elbow grease and some acetone removed the glue, then a little more sanding and another coat of finish and it looked like new.

It's 5" x 5 1/2" x 1 1/2" finished with antique oil.
I still need to make a lid for it and I'm thinking something very fine grained (maybe some hard maple) and either dye it black or try to come up with a light brown or tan that would complement the lighter colors in the mesquite.
Thoughts?
Thanks for a beautiful piece of wood Tom!

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

charlie knighton
09-06-2012, 4:06 AM
very nice, Kathy

love mesquite, espically that mesquite

you have done several winged bowls lately.....are you leaning toward making that type your signature pieces?????????

Rick Markham
09-06-2012, 4:27 AM
That's a cool little bowl, glad you got it unstuck from the chuck! Looks like it has some curl too.

Tom Winship
09-06-2012, 8:53 AM
Hey Kathy, forgot about that wood. Grain is not typical, but as you say, burlish. I made a number of pins out of this piece also. Beautiful work. You honored the wood more than I could.

Doug W Swanson
09-06-2012, 9:10 AM
Looks great! I love the color of that wood. I think a little curly maple or birdseye maple top would go very nice with it.

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Great looking piece Kathy.

Kathy Marshall
09-06-2012, 9:24 PM
Thanks everyone!

very nice, Kathy

love mesquite, espically that mesquite

you have done several winged bowls lately.....are you leaning toward making that type your signature pieces?????????
Thanks Charlie! I think once I get the lid done, I'll be finished with winged bowls for awhile. I do alot of different types of forms, but if I had to call one a signature type, it would either be my utility bowls or the heart shaped hfs since those are what I do most often and what I enjoy doing. Don't know that they'd actually qualify as a signature piece since they're pretty common pieces for alot of turners.

That's a cool little bowl, glad you got it unstuck from the chuck! Looks like it has some curl too.
Thanks Rick! Yep, I'd have been a bit upset if I'd ruined that pretty piece of wood getting it unstuck.

Hey Kathy, forgot about that wood. Grain is not typical, but as you say, burlish. I made a number of pins out of this piece also. Beautiful work. You honored the wood more than I could.
Thanks Tom! A really nice piece of wood that the pics don't do justice for. Just glad I waited for the right form to use it on.

Looks great! I love the color of that wood. I think a little curly maple or birdseye maple top would go very nice with it.
Thanks Doug! I picked up a nice cherry board cutoff after work for the lid, and if I can get the finish right, it should be a good match for the mesquite. In fact I was just working on the lid when a good sized thunderstorm rolled in with lots of lighting and I decided to play it safe and wait out the worst of it in the house, you know how it is, metal building filled with metal tools sitting on a metal diamondplate floor :eek:.

Great looking piece Kathy.
Thanks Bernie!

Baxter Smith
09-06-2012, 9:34 PM
Nice job on a beautiful piece of wood Kathy. Almost seems to bad to cover it up with a lid!;):)

Kathy Marshall
09-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Here's the lid, I don't have a knob or finial turned yet. It's cherry dyed with a very diluted red (which was still too red), then added brown, sanded back and a little more brown added. It's close to what I was looking for, but still just a tad dark but not too bad, finished up with a coat of antique oil.
I haven't decided on the knob yet, but I'm leaning toward a fairly simple finial.