PDA

View Full Version : Smell like a scam to you?

Steve McKee
09-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Received the following email, the To: field in the message header reads "undisclosed-recipeints", which leads me to believe it was sent in bulk.

Good day,

Greetings from India.

1) We would want to purchase from you and ship directly to India.

2)We have a freight forwarder who handles all our shippments irrespective of location and/or logistics,and we wish to continue with them.They have also been very effective in delivering the my goods to me in my remote area in New Delhi, India. It is estimated to be 3-4days for deliveries to my location. I have used their service in the past and it was splendid and Cost Effective compared to all other popular couriers.

3) PAYMENT FOR ALL ORDERS IS VIA OUR BUSINESS CREDIT CARDS ONLY ISSUED IN THE USA.

4)If you find all of the above considerate,kindly send me price lists or inventory list of your latest collections as an attach file to my emailbox so we can proceed with the orders.

Should you require any further clarifications do not hesitate to contact the undersigned.

(name/title here)

I see a few red flags here. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

Oh yeah, almost forgot, the e-mail address is gmail

John Coloccia
09-05-2012, 12:38 PM
I don't find all the above considerate...

Steve McKee
09-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't find all the above considerate...

Not following you John.

Mark Sipes
09-05-2012, 12:48 PM
I get these all the time. Dump them. If they are really interested in establishing a business relationship they would call. Never accept an order from a caller who uses TTY services.........Really Big SCAM....... I do use business services from India.... They do great Vector work "Nittany" they work hard to meet a 12-24 hour turn around and will insure the converted art works to your requirments... and they call... Customer service is in Flordia.

Jim Rimmer
09-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Not following you John.

He's referring to item #4 in the email.

Steve McKee
09-05-2012, 12:59 PM
He's referring to item #4 in the email.

DUH! Guess it would help to read my own post.

Thanks Jim

Chuck Stone
09-05-2012, 1:59 PM
they want to do business with you, yet they don't know what you sell? So they need
a catalog?

Randy Digby
09-05-2012, 2:43 PM
I get about three of those a week. Mark as Spam and carry on.

Mike Troncalli
09-05-2012, 3:36 PM
Agree with Randy, Mark as spam and carry on

Dee Gallo
09-05-2012, 7:50 PM
I would not have read past "good day"... trash!

Gary Gardner
09-06-2012, 8:51 AM
This is a big scam and it is very common in the sign industry. How the scam works is they will order some great quantity of something and pay you by credit card including shipping and you will pay cash to the shipper for his outrageous shipping cost and even though you checked with the credit card company the card will charge back and you will be out the money for shipping and of course the cost of your product.

Jiten Patel
09-06-2012, 9:42 AM
Seems legit (shifty eyes!)

Rodne Gold
09-06-2012, 9:52 AM
Jit , my uncle in Lagos died and left me EU20 mil , I need a foreign account to transfer it out of Nigeria and someone to pay certain "release" fee's in US$..we can split the proceeds 50/50.. 10 Bar is nice sum of moolah..no??

John Coloccia
09-06-2012, 9:52 AM
If you want some fun reading, go to 419eater.com. There is some naughty language if you read through the letters, but the basic idea is these guys get the scammers to spend all sorts of money and waste all sorts of time do weird things. It's pretty funny.

Jiten Patel
09-07-2012, 6:40 AM
Rodne, Sold, how can I give you my account details and sort code - or perhaps i should post them here....!? Also how much do you need? $5000 should cut it right - pardon the pun!

Rodne Gold
09-07-2012, 7:02 AM
Jit , let's make it easy , post em here along with your passwords and PIN no , my yahoo and gmail accounts are little flaky, $5k for a start should get us going ...
Apart from your lasers , this will be the best investment you ever made.. you know me , you can trust me..

Jerome Stanek
09-07-2012, 7:03 AM
I would sell him some ghost widgets in an invisible box and have them pick it up.

Rodne Gold
09-07-2012, 7:03 AM
On a serious note , there is just one thing that makes all these scams work...greed...

Jiten Patel
09-08-2012, 4:28 AM
Two things Rodney - Greed and STUPIDITY!

ray hampton
09-08-2012, 2:26 PM
Two things Rodney - Greed and STUPIDITY!

three things Rodney-Greed, Stupidity, Computers

David Nelson1
01-04-2013, 11:57 AM
If you want some fun reading, go to www.419eater.com (http://www.419eater.com). There is some naughty language if you read through the letters, but the basic idea is these guys get the scammers to spend all sorts of money and waste all sorts of time do weird things. It's pretty funny.

John, where, why or how did you find that site? It's a riot if it true! LOL

Bill Cunningham
01-05-2013, 9:02 PM
When any part of the initial email discusses credit card payment it's Scam.. I also get several of these a week, They really seem to want my products, but have no idea of what I sell..hahaha