PDA

View Full Version : abbreviations on lumber list

Brett Clark
09-05-2012, 9:12 AM
I just got a price list from a lumber supplier(Frank Miller) and they use several abbreviations that I am unfamiliar with. They are: 1F&BTR, 1COM, S&B PA. Could someone relieve my ignorance?

James Conrad
09-05-2012, 9:33 AM
#1 Firsts and Better
#1 Common
Select and Better

Matt Day
09-05-2012, 9:49 AM
Here are your answers, and below is a good link:

1COM = Number one common grade.

S&B PA = Select & Better. Includes Select & FAS boards.

1f&BTR = lumber grading, 1F means one side meets FAS quality, while the other only meets common quality; so this is saying the lumber is at least 1F quality "or better".

http://www.theworkbench.com/guide.php

Mel Fulks
09-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Didja ever notice? When it comes to judging lumber, everybody gets a trophy.(soon to be found in the desk of the late Andy Rooney)

bill tindall
09-05-2012, 5:10 PM
Actually the 1F&BTR is an abbreviation for a National hardwood lumber grade of FAS1F. Lumber is normally graded from the poorest side However in this grade it is graded from the best side. In this case the best side grades FAS which stands for "firsts and seconds", the top two lumber grades. To meet FAS1F grade the reverse side must grade at least #1 common. So, 1F&BTR includes the top two grades of lumber graded from the best side with the reverse sides being no worse than 1 Common. A grade of FAS would be "firsts and seconds" graded from the worst side. Selects is very similar grade to FAS except it allows more narrow and shorter lumber. So Sel&BTR includes the top 4 grades of hardwood lumber. When the lumber market is tight you see this grade show up in species that don't yield big logs, for example cherry, birch and sometimes walnut.

The grades in decreasing yield of clear cuts from the board: Firsts, Seconds, FAS1F, Selects, 1Common, 2Common, 3 Common(AKA pallet lumber).

I have never encountered the abbreviation "PA"