PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Build Advice

Dave Novak
09-04-2012, 8:24 PM
I'm in the process of building a router table, and I could use a little advice regarding the drawers. I built them with the intent of having them slide on hardwood runners roughly 1 1/2 " tall by 1" deep in a dado on the drawer sides. Pics below. The drawers are pretty heavy though, and i intend to load them up. I'm considering adding a UHMW "skin" on the runners to make them glide better. Good idea? If it is, should I use the tape or go with 1/4" material pinned or screwed to the hardwood? I'm concerned about the tape sticking in place over the long haul. Any other ideas/suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Mike Heidrick
09-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Id try paraffin wax first.

doug faist
09-04-2012, 10:07 PM
I agree with Mike on this one. The drawers on the router station really don't get that much use over time (as compared to a dresser used 4-6 times every day).

So try the wax first; if it wears away too quickly, look for some urethane tape which is just as slick and much thinner than 1/4".

Have fun with your project.

Doug

Dave Novak
09-04-2012, 10:15 PM
I considered wax, but assumed UHMW migh be more permanent requiring less maintenance. I really have no experience with either in this application.

Keith Hankins
09-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Growing up as a kid my job was to wax runners in the drawers around the house. Once a year my mom would force me under threat of violence or as she called it "chores" to take a candle and remove all the drawers in the dressers in the house and wax the runners by rubbing that stupid candle. It worked it was cheap and to be honest it did not take that long. Go with hardwood runners and wax em!

Dave Novak
09-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys, wax is the easiest, cheapest, and quickest solution! How often is that the best course of action?

Mark Blum
09-05-2012, 9:31 AM
Using a good paste wax should do the trick just fine. I've got drawers in many locations in my house that glide nice and smooth on just a good coat of paste wax, and they've been going strong like that for many years. Poor Keith might have been required to apply candle wax more often, but paste wax should hold up a good bit longer.

glenn bradley
09-05-2012, 1:39 PM
I considered wax, but assumed UHMW migh be more permanent requiring less maintenance. I really have no experience with either in this application.

I have waxed drawers that have been in daily use for years and still move easily. When you say load them up, will they be catch-alls that could weigh 100lbs or will this be pretty much router table stuff like bits, featherboards, throat plate rings and so forth?

Dave Novak
09-05-2012, 2:29 PM
When you say load them up, will they be catch-alls that could weigh 100lbs or will this be pretty much router table stuff like bits, featherboards, throat plate rings and so forth?

2 drawers will be router accessories and bits, another will hold other hand-held routers, and the remaining will hold my air powered tools and accesories and whatever else I can comfortably fit in them. It will be pretty heavy stuff.