PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Elm Calabash

Jeremy Leasure
09-04-2012, 5:00 PM
This one is around 7"x4". Something about this style combined with the flat inward tilting rim that I really like. Sure is awkward getting to that interior sometimes though.

http://i.imgur.com/SDXJo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/g2h5F.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BR9KQ.jpg

Alan Trout
09-04-2012, 5:41 PM
That is exactly what a calabash should look like. Very well done with a really nice piece of wood.

Alan

Jim Burr
09-04-2012, 5:50 PM
Yeah...but it was worth the effort! You have that down Jeremy!

Bernie Weishapl
09-04-2012, 9:18 PM
Really nice looking bowl Jeremy.

Dennis Ford
09-04-2012, 9:32 PM
Very nice work, nice clean cuts and great finish on a good form. The wood is nice too!

Scott Lux
09-04-2012, 9:51 PM
Let's see, I love the shape, I like the wood, and I like the finish... HAT TRICK!!!

paul vechart
09-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Jeremy ... it's all good!

Kathy Marshall
09-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Beautiful bowl Jeremy! and a nice chunk of wood to boot!

Doug Herzberg
09-04-2012, 11:45 PM
That's a gorgeous chunk of wood and a very nice form. Love it.

Jeremy Leasure
09-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks everyone. I do feel lucky to have gotten the wood at just the right time. It's not even that bad with tearout in the whiter areas. The interior tearout is a bit more challenging but then again it usually is. One person's firewood...

Michelle Rich
09-05-2012, 6:33 AM
that is gorgeous firewood..and I love the shape..I want to hold this one.

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-05-2012, 8:18 AM
Jeremy,
My favorite shape done in a "to die for" piece of God's and a fungii's creation. Sweet!!! The difficulty in this shape is exactly what you mentioned. It is hard to turn the inside especially just prior to the transition without getting "bruises". How was the spalted wood to finish. Did you have punky spots that kept absorbing finish long after the rest of the bowl was sealed?
faust

Richard Jones
09-05-2012, 8:20 AM
Nice work, thanks for sharing your talents...................

Rich

Tim Rinehart
09-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Very nicely done Jeremy...and in true calabash gourd fashion. Wonderful piece of spalted elm. I tried spalting some elm...and finally just gave up. Never got any nice black zone lines like this piece has.

Jeremy Leasure
09-05-2012, 1:15 PM
that is gorgeous firewood..and I love the shape..I want to hold this one.

Thank you. It is a nice holding bowl :)

Jeremy,
My favorite shape done in a "to die for" piece of God's and a fungii's creation. Sweet!!! The difficulty in this shape is exactly what you mentioned. It is hard to turn the inside especially just prior to the transition without getting "bruises". How was the spalted wood to finish. Did you have punky spots that kept absorbing finish long after the rest of the bowl was sealed?
faust

Not too bad actually. It only has one coat of BLO on it right now. I've never really tried building BLO before, no patience for it. I'm going to try for 1 coat a day for a week this time and see if it's worth the effort.

Nice work, thanks for sharing your talents...................

Rich

Thanks

Very nicely done Jeremy...and in true calabash gourd fashion. Wonderful piece of spalted elm. I tried spalting some elm...and finally just gave up. Never got any nice black zone lines like this piece has.

I've yet to try to intentionally spalt something, too chicken and again with the impatience. I have contemplated trying to spalt whole roughouts instead of logs. Seems like it might be speed in comparison to trying entire logs.

Prashun Patel
09-05-2012, 2:14 PM
Nice bowl. I like the form.

"I've never really tried building BLO before". If yr going for a film finish, you'll be frustrated with BLO. It dries soft and as such will never build to any depth. Your finish appears to be an even, smooth, satin. That's the most (which is a lot IMHO) you can hope for with an oil finish.